Plant Shelf

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

bainin
Platinum Member

Plant Shelf

Post by bainin »

1" Black iron fittings

Didnt use the SS too much on this one ...spent most of my time with the new Dewalt RO sander !
shelf-iron.jpg
shelf-iron.jpg (97.36 KiB) Viewed 12361 times

Some adjustments needed to get the fittings to close down on the shelf wood itself...its a bit wobbly and I am reticent to glue it all together-or I'll never get it apart again.

b
thunderbirdbat
Platinum Member

Re: Plant Shelf

Post by thunderbirdbat »

bainin wrote:Some adjustments needed to get the fittings to close down on the shelf wood itself...its a bit wobbly and I am reticent to glue it all together-or I'll never get it apart again.

b
I believe the wobble is due to the width. I have the same problem with the narrow TV and end tables I built my daughter. The wobble is side to side and not length wise. They were made the same way, with dowels, corner pieces and glue, as the coffee table was but, the coffee table does not wobble. The only difference is the coffee table is twice as wide as the other tables. The only way I could figure that would help the wobble was if I angled the legs to get a larger footprint area, not possible for the design and space limitations.
Brenda

1998 510 upgraded to a 520, upgraded to power pro with double tilt and lift assist.
1998 bandsaw
2016 beltsander
jointer
overarm pin router
GoNavy
Gold Member

Post by GoNavy »

Put these under each corner of the top shelf. They will be out of site but provide the support you need. This one is from Lowes, but I assume you can get them at any hardware store. I believe you can get them in black as well, just did a quick search and pic to give you an idea. Main thing is to allow attachment to wood and a way to lock onto pipe, should take out all the wobble and pull the top upto the end caps for a better look.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/SteelTek-3-4-i ... /999930950
Pipe Flange.jpg
Pipe Flange.jpg (11.68 KiB) Viewed 12346 times
Addon: You could also go this route, good deal on Amazon for a 10 pack, just put them on all the underside shelf holes, should tighten it up pretty good, even the correct pipe size. Not sure if the ones I mentioned above come in 1" size

https://www.amazon.com/Home-TZH-Malleab ... ay&sr=8-14
Flange_Amazon.jpg
Flange_Amazon.jpg (48.54 KiB) Viewed 12326 times
bainin
Platinum Member

Post by bainin »

Thank you-

I know there is some bit of play where the pipes come up thru the wood and it certainly is narrow (12" wide boards) compared to height and length. Plus the floor is not flat haha-but thats a project for another day.

It got substantially better when the wife loaded it up with house plants- but I would still prefer it to be more stable on its own.

I think Ill try some of those floor flanges you linked from Amazon- the local Lowes and HD are making a killing on this black iron stuff.

b
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Using some lock nuts(think electrical dept.) should help setting positions.

Black iron is expensive(not Lowe's fault). We are spoiled with all the plastic stuff nowadays.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange