new guy with old 'Greenie' control sheave question

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

ricksss96
Silver Member

new guy with old 'Greenie' control sheave question

Post by ricksss96 »

Hi All - long timer lurker here, finally had to log in with a control sheave question. Have an old greenie with Gilmer belt drive. Have recently registered at shopsmith.com and started getting many emails with sale prices on some items. Most recent was for the "Most Popular Service Parts" and decided to order a spare Gilmer belt. Am seriously considering ordering a 515556 Control Sheave Assembly as I understand they can fail.

Question: I cannot verify that is the correct part number for the Gilmer belt style. In fact I recall (from somewhere?) that they do not interchange with the new belt drive style. Any of you experts know for sure about interchange of this sheave between the two types of belt drives?

-Rick
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Re: new guy with old 'Greenie' control sheave question

Post by wa2crk »

Rick
The Gilmer belt is not compatible with the newer Shopsmith. The newer machines use a flat Poly V belt. Customer should be able to provide you with the proper part number and the proper part. Manufacturers change part numbers if they change suppliers to keep track of things.
The control sheave can fail if the small bearing in the front of the sheave near the speed control quadrant does not get lubricated. It can be repaired by a guy on the internet (E-Bay I think) for a minimal fee.
And welcome to the madhouse!!!
Bill V
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

The control sheave side is the same with the button bearing inside.
The wire loop goes through a roll pin and attaches over the Quadrant it to keep them together.

The bearing and the control sheave spin, and the button inside the bearing is held in place.

This section needs oiling every 10 hours of use through the hole in it. 8-10 drops of a good turbine oil, 3 in 1 etc.

Oil it, put it in drill press position which will allow it to run down on the inside of the bearing, and let it run 5 minutes, then shut it down overnight and the cooling bearing will draw in some lubricant.

The Motor has a sheave set that needs oil as well, and the hole is under the edge of the spring.

I listed a Jacob Anderson free video (he has over 30) that you might like to view.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwpzTr4711E

Here are the differences between Gilmer and Poly-V

Everett
Gilmer Sheave set and Shaft.jpg
Gilmer Sheave set and Shaft.jpg (6.91 KiB) Viewed 11410 times
Poly-V Speed-Control-Idler-Sheave-Assembly.jpg
Poly-V Speed-Control-Idler-Sheave-Assembly.jpg (26.63 KiB) Viewed 11410 times
ricksss96
Silver Member

Post by ricksss96 »

Wow - two replies in less than an hour! You guys are great!

Bill - thanks for pointing out that manufacturers can change part numbers even if the part stays the same. Shouda thought of that :(

Everett - thanks for the link to Anderson's video. Saw another reference to his work just recently but didn't have a chance to look thru them all first. Need to do my homework. Between that, your jpg pictures, and a current 'Mark V Std Parts List" I found on Shopsmith.com, it becomes very clear that there are two different part numbers for the different belt drives.

I will try calling Shopsmith tomorrow and see if they have any of the older type sheaves available anymore.

Thanks all for your help,
-Rick
Last edited by ricksss96 on Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

ricksss96 wrote: . . .

I will try calling Shopsmith tomorrow and see if they have any of the older type sheaves available anymore.

Thanks all for you help,
-Rick
I am sure the answer will be 'no'. :(
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

ricksss96 wrote: I will try calling Shopsmith tomorrow and see if they have any of the older type sheaves available anymore.

Thanks all for your help,
-Rick
Try eBay for a used set. Here's a Gilmer sheave I just found on eBay for $30 Buy It Now price plus about $10 shipping... It will likely go fast.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Shopsmith-Mark ... Swk3NdVHac

Everett