Aligning 510 main table

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

theinrichs
Gold Member

Aligning 510 main table

Post by theinrichs »

Hi Forum,
I recently purchased a used 510 upgrade system. Today I was going through the required table alignment checks and ran into a problem loosening the table trunnion allen srews. They are on really tight, there is some corrosion, and I wasn't able to break them loose even with using liquid wrench penetrant. Anyone have other tips on things I could try to loosen these allen screws? Any advice much appreciated!
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Re: Aligning 510 main table

Post by everettdavis »

One thing you can try:

Clean off any flammable liquids you might have used.

Get a properly sized sacrificial long allen wrench and heat it with a propane torch until the tip glows bright red. You may need to hold it with a pair of vice grips due to heat.

Carefully insert the glowing tip into the hole allowing the tip to heat the allen screw from the inside out for about 5-10 seconds.

Remove and insert another allen wrench in its place and see if you can break it free. It may take several tries.

Don't try to turn it with the heated one as the heat removed the strength in it, plus you have other screws to free up using it.

Everett
WileyCoyote
Gold Member

Post by WileyCoyote »

When I bought my 510 it had been sitting for a while and most of the bolts and set screws were hard to break free. The one that gave me the most trouble was one of the two for the table insert. I ended up pulling the table off the carriage and putting it on the workbench so I could get better access and give it a good cleaning. I would keep trying the penetrating fluid for a few days, adding more fluid and trying it occasionally.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

What are you using to apply the torque to the wrench? ;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
theinrichs
Gold Member

Post by theinrichs »

Thanks for the tips! I'll try using more penetrating oil and using the opening at the end of an adjustable wrench (mentioned in the Shopsmith 510 on line manual) to turn the allen wrench. If that doesn't work I will try Everett's heated allen wrench tip.
theinrichs
Gold Member

Post by theinrichs »

That's the situation I'm facing. The 510 table obviously had been sitting for a long time without use.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

JPG asked
This reminds me of what I use for stubborn set screws when disassembling Shopsmiths for restoration. On some of the Model 10's which are now around 70 years old and have set screws that may have not been moved in all those years and they can be stubborn. I use an Allen wrench socket and socket wrench for better torque. I have yet to find one I could not get out with the Allen wrench socket & wrench.

You said
using the opening at the end of an adjustable wrench (mentioned in the Shopsmith 510 on line manual) to turn the allen wrench.
I have tried that technique also without success. I ended up with a spiral twisted Allen wrench. That is when I tried the Allen wrench socket.

Good Luck
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I have tried using a box end wrench the size of the allen wrench. That also eliminates the twisting allen wrench. Granted they are short armed when that small size.

No one has mentioned 'gentle' tapping to apply the torque. Gentle at first with increasing lack of gentle. Then gradually increasing size of hammer. Main problem can be stripping the allen wrench(always use a new one for stubborn stuff) or the screw socket.

I cannot help but wonder how heating the inside object helps. :confused:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

My suggestion (which I have employed) is much the same as JPGs.
20190825_101935[1].jpg
20190825_101935[1].jpg (628.58 KiB) Viewed 15555 times
Downward pressure while applying the twisting pressure is essential to keep the blade engaged with the screw head.

I knew I had a better solution; I just could not find it. Thanks to this thread I have now done some organizing in my tool cabinet. I'm real bad at putting things away when done using them.
Attachments
20190825_114512[1].jpg
20190825_114512[1].jpg (588.42 KiB) Viewed 15547 times
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

chapmanruss wrote:JPG asked
This reminds me of what I use for stubborn set screws when disassembling Shopsmiths for restoration. On some of the Model 10's which are now around 70 years old and have set screws that may have not been moved in all those years and they can be stubborn. I use an Allen wrench socket and socket wrench for better torque. I have yet to find one I could not get out with the Allen wrench socket & wrench.

You said
using the opening at the end of an adjustable wrench (mentioned in the Shopsmith 510 on line manual) to turn the allen wrench.
I have tried that technique also without success. I ended up with a spiral twisted Allen wrench. That is when I tried the Allen wrench socket.

Good Luck
They are especially helpful in the smaller hex sizes. A common allen wrench has too much give and doesn't apply enough torque on tight screws. I tried to remove the blade wedge screws on a Pro Planer to sharpen the blades. A stock L shaped allen wrench did not budge them. I got out my Apex holder and a hex bit and they came right out.

https://products.apex-tools.com/tools/bits/socket-head
Attachments
Screenshot_2019-08-25 Socket Head Bits Apex Fastening Tools(1).png
Screenshot_2019-08-25 Socket Head Bits Apex Fastening Tools(1).png (267.78 KiB) Viewed 15552 times
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT