New to shop smith

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

vrodbrad
Gold Member

New to shop smith

Post by vrodbrad »

Good day all. My name is Brad. I just picked up a used 500 the other day that came with the older jigsaw attachment and bandsaw and jointer the shopsmith chisel set and face plate and some extra parts. I cleaned it up and the only oil I had was some valve line motor oil which I put on when doingthe lube portion on motor. What type of oil is pest for that and for waxing the way tubes what all do you guys use. I know I need to find drive centers and live centers. What good quality ones and need to get a chuck for that lathe. I was thinking the nova g3

Any other suggestions I should is more than welcome.

Oh I live in Falls City, Oregon. So if anyone close by let me know.

Sincerely

Brad

P.S. wife did not like the idea of spending 500 on it but I could not pass up the deal so now she wants to make sur it is well taken care of..
dusty
Platinum Member

Re: New to shop smith

Post by dusty »

Welcome to the forum.

To answer your questions: I use Johnson's Paste Wax and a Zoom Spout Oiler and I recommend these.

https://www.hobbylobby.com/Fabric-Sewin ... gL_yPD_BwE
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

My only suggestion is that you start using it right away. The sooner you put some hours on it, the sooner you get an idea if you need any other accessories for it. Buying a collection of parts that you end up not needing isn't productive. Using the Shopsmith until you reach a point where you need an accessory or part makes much better sense.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I agree with Gary but who am I too give conservative recommendations on parts and accessories. I have far too much old stuff to give that advice.

However, I will make one very strong recommendation. Don't do much else with what you have until you have inspected, cleaned, oiled and aligned it and all of the accessories. I would especially recommend lubricating and aligning before further use.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Hi Brad,

Welcome to the forum. You will find a lot of good information here and have already received some. Oiling the headstock parts should only be done with light oils. The Zoom Spout Oiler as Dusty suggested is a good one or you can use 3 in 1 oil or sewing machine oil. The important thing now is to get the motor oil off and worked out of the parts. It is simply to thick of an oil.

Again Dusty recommend the use of Johnson's Paste Wax which I use also but do not limit it to the way tubes. Paste wax not only provides lubrication for moving the headstock and carriage on the way tubes but also provides protection from rust. Use it on other bare metal parts for the same protection too.

You did not say how old your 500 is or more importantly if you received any manuals with the tools. The manuals will answer a lot of the maintenance questions and provide information on the operation of the tools. Some of the older manuals are available here on the forum under the Maintenance and Repair section for Shopsmith Large Format Drawings, Illustrations and More by Everett Davis. This will be one of the first three topics. In it you will find a wealth of information on the Shopsmith tools. Some are directly linked there and others are on “My Google Drive” with documents too large to be directly linked. Everett has become the Shopsmith historian by saving and restoring manuals and other documents. Manuals can be purchased here on the Shopsmith website under Support and while there check out the online manuals that are available too.

The current bandsaw manual is available at this link here on the Shopsmith website. https://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/manuals/845539.pdf

Another good reference is the book Power Tool Woodworking for Everyone. In it is a lot of good information on using the Shopsmith and SPT (bandsaw, Jointer, Jig Saw, etc.) tools. You can check out the current, 4th Edition at this link here on the Shopsmith website. https://www.shopsmith.com/academy/introduction.htm

To answer your last question I live near Portland OR.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
vrodbrad
Gold Member

Post by vrodbrad »

Thanks for the info guys. Got the Johnson paste wax. 3and1 and the bottle spot. Will get the motor oil off and cleaned up like you said and relube and wax all that needs to be. I know I need to get the centers for turning and an arbor for the table saw blades. Just has one shopsmith blade with that arbor but my blades have the smaller diameter hole. It did come with the manual that came with it so will go through that like a fine too the comb. And came with a binder that was like class room text book and had test questions. Cannot not remember what it was called. Thanks again for the advise all

Brad
vrodbrad
Gold Member

Post by vrodbrad »

Oh and there was a package that original owner had that when he bought had receipts and other paperwork. Will look at that for how old it is. I am the 3rd owner of it according to the gal I bought it from and she bought it from original owner it is the grey head stock even that does not give the age
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

The Serial Number can tell us when it was made although there is some missing information in that chart so some serial number ranges for months made are estimates.

The other notebook you received is, by your description, the Self Study Guide and will take you through exercises designed to help you become more familiar on using the Shopsmith.

Extra arbors can be purchased new or used to mount Blades with a standard 5/8" arbor hole. This is one area where the model of Mark V, be it 500, 510 or 520 makes a difference. The arbors specifically for the 500 are shorter than the ones for the 510, 520 and Mark 7. The lathe center have had little change since the introduction of the original Shopsmith Model 10E in 1947 so any of them new or used will work.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
vrodbrad
Gold Member

Post by vrodbrad »

Good day all. Did what you guys said released everything and reoiled the sheeves with 3and1 oil. Did here a slight scraping. Found where it was coming from. The lower shelve next to motor was barely scraping. It only happens between low and high speed. Not sure how take care of. Also found the electrical cord had been previously spliced and came apart so fixed that. Put the paste on rails and all the tables and tubes on attachments

Find it was built between May and June of 1982 according to the serial number chart in another post

I see on amazon there is an arbor that says 5/8 arbor 1inch 8tpi is that the correct one

Thanks again guys
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

vrodbrad wrote: . . .

I see on amazon there is an arbor that says 5/8 arbor 1inch 8tpi is that the correct one

Thanks again guys
NO, that one is for a chuck with 1-8 threads.

You need a saw blade arbor with 5/8" plain bore and 5/8" saw blade mounting thread.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange