New to shop smith

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Re: New to shop smith

Post by dusty »

Resharpened is OK but i would start with a new combination thin kerf. Sharp is essential to safe wood working.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
docvox
Silver Member

Post by docvox »

I have a similar question. I purchased a rusty Mark V Model 500 and am renovating it. I have been using vinegar baths to sucessfully remove rust and PVC tubes filled with water and potato chunks to clean the ways. I left my saw table legs and quill in vinegar too long (3 days) and it removed the finish on both. I believe the finish on the quill was black paint, but the finish on the legs I'm not sure about. Was it Aluminum paint? I'm not too concerned about protecting either, as a coat of Johnson's paste wax will do that, but I would like to at least refinish the legs for cosmetic reasons. Suggestions on both, please.
docvox, SC
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

The quill was Black Oxide.

The table legs were plated.

I suggest using evaporust on any shiny parts and oil/steel wool on black oxide parts. The evaporust will not 'go too far' as an acid(vinegar) would. Besides it works faster.

Evaporust WILL remove black oxide.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
RonKlein
Gold Member

Post by RonKlein »

And, if you would like to restore the black oxide finish, visit your local gun store, or search the internet for 'gun bluing'.
Ron--K6VPV
510, upgraded to 520, now PowerPro, bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, jointmatic, scroll saw, strip sander, pro planer, OPR, DC3300, and more.
vrodbrad
Gold Member

Post by vrodbrad »

So this is one of the items that came with the shopsmith I picked up but cannot figure out what it is or used for
vrodbrad
Gold Member

Post by vrodbrad »

Never mind I figured out what it is. It is the mortise bracket. No other attachments with. Guess I need to find a video how to use it. Find it while look8ing through product catalog
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Check this link for the Mortise.
https://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/manuals/845513.pdf
This is for the current Mortising System but other than the addition of the "T" nut little has changed since it's introduction in the late 1940's.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.