floating table inserts for V 500

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

br549
Platinum Member

Re: floating table inserts for V 500

Post by br549 »

Since I brought up the second slot as an option, it is only fair that I add this additional information which reible mentioned in his post and that I could easily find. I received the "Notice of Important Product Modification" with my Mark V (500) purchased in 1980, which no doubt was included because page 7 of the Owner's Manual I received at the same time shows the second slot, but my table only came with one slot.
Attachments
Shopsmith extra slot Product Modification.jpg
Shopsmith extra slot Product Modification.jpg (167.07 KiB) Viewed 11165 times
ss007-resized.jpg
ss007-resized.jpg (228.8 KiB) Viewed 11165 times
djscruggs
Gold Member

Post by djscruggs »

I am NEVER disappointed when I ask a question in this forum! I not only get the question answered, but i find out things I never knew I should ask. I do not yet know the "age" of my particular machine, but will find that out.

The distinction between 9" and 10" blades was also really helpful.

I actually purchased this particular shopsmith in spite of the small table, because it also came with a jointer, bandsaw, scrollsaw, a belt sander, and even a shaper attachment that I can't fully figure out. I've spent my whole work career looking forward to getting back to woodworking, so I wanted to get reacquainted with all of these tools, even though my primary interest is turning wood.

I haven't yet found the small table space to be a constraint, I was mainly noting that the table extension didn't readily line up with the main table....I figure that out, and I should be very happy for the first 32 projects.

I have a tiny workshop space, and this shopsmith was one way that I could justify outfitting a shop!

david
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

The original 'Greenie' table and aux table both had cast in rip fence rails.

Later Goldies had an extrusion bolted to the front of the main table while the aux table retained the cast in rail.

Because the cast in rails would not align sufficiently to allow the rip fence to bridge the two tables, the second slot was added to allow ripping in the range not possible because the rails did not align.

Along comes SS Inc. and the wider aux table was created which had the same extrusion for the rip fence on the front. Thus it was 'possible' to accurately bridge the gap between the two table so any rip width was possible. I say possible because it requires precise alignment/adjustment. Later the mount screws were changed to allow independent adjustment at all 4 mounting bolts.( a retroactive DIY project for Mark 5 narrow aux tables.)

The aux wide table changes were I surmise coincident with both the 510 introduction(wide aux and identical floating tables) which allowed the elimination of the 500 second slot.

This discussion pertains only to Mark 5 and Mark V 500 machines.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
djscruggs
Gold Member

Post by djscruggs »

Great input guys. As I read your responses, I am reminded of how naive some questions from newbies like myself can be. Now that I've used the table saw a few times, I realize that the need for a wider table is, at best, in my distant future. For me, 48" ought to be just fine, and I've got a setup in my garage for using a jig for cutting larger pieces (ie of plywood) using my circular saw. So the big, wide honking pieces never make it into the basement shop!