Repurposing vs Recycling old furniture Pros & cons?

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

djscruggs
Gold Member

Repurposing vs Recycling old furniture Pros & cons?

Post by djscruggs »

There are lots of suggestions online about using recycled shipping pallets for projects. I've wondered if old hardwood furniture that has been painted or stained could also be re-cycled for woodworking? (this is definitely a "newbie" question that probably has a really short "NO" answer, but still wondering)

Justification: Old furniture is frequently made of beautiful hardwoods....maple, mahogony, oak, cherry, etc. And if you think of headboards (beds), tables, doors on cabinets, etc....there are large expanses of "raw material".

But, given that I can't find articles online about this, I'm assuming that, either because of difficulty of paint / stain removal or health concerns of tainted saw dust, it must not be worthwhile. Perhaps there are even bigger issues I haven't considered?

YET.....the younger generation seems to be less interested in antiques and "family furniture", and I've seen so much "good wood" headed to the dump lately, it does make me wonder.

Could anyone shed a little light on this?

David
dusty
Platinum Member

Re: Repurposing vs Recycling old furniture Pros & cons?

Post by dusty »

A resounding YES. As you stated, it is often nice hardwood. Recycling it however often requires that the finish be removed. This can be a tedious task,,,which I have little or no patience for.

This tends to lead me to the jointer and planer BUT doing it this way is hard on blades. I sharpen my own so that doesn't stop me but do be aware if you choose this method.

Old desk tops, bed rails and dining room table tops yield some really nice pieces. Under that paint is often some beautiful wood.

Don't let it go to the dump! Gather it up and use it with pride.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
djscruggs
Gold Member

Post by djscruggs »

Dusty,

I was specifically thinking about repurposing for "turning projects" forgoing the planer / jointer altogether. Just let the turning process remove the outer paint and / or stain, and I think the lathe chisels are easier to sharpen.

Any health concerns with turning pre-stained / painted items that you know of?

d
thunderbirdbat
Platinum Member

Post by thunderbirdbat »

I agree with Dusty, reuse the wood. One thing to be aware of, some of the older/antique pieces have veneered top layers.
Brenda

1998 510 upgraded to a 520, upgraded to power pro with double tilt and lift assist.
1998 bandsaw
2016 beltsander
jointer
overarm pin router
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

djscruggs wrote:Any health concerns with turning pre-stained / painted items that you know of?

d
Lead paint comes to mind. :eek:
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

djscruggs wrote:Dusty,

I was specifically thinking about repurposing for "turning projects" forgoing the planer / jointer altogether. Just let the turning process remove the outer paint and / or stain, and I think the lathe chisels are easier to sharpen.

Any health concerns with turning pre-stained / painted items that you know of?

d
There are always health concerns when creating dust - whether it be sawdust or paint dust. Use a mask of some sort. Ask me how I know. I was at one time invincible.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

use it !
some times the wax or oils go deep into the grain and may create issues with refinishing or gluing but ,if you know what finish you are dealing with , be it varnish, shellac, or a oil finish it can help .
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
john_001
Gold Member

Post by john_001 »

If it's covered with old paint, you should probably test it for lead (about $10 for two tests at HD). If it has lead paint, I'd take a pass on it rather than messing around with trying to safely remove it.
BobCoates1953
Gold Member

Post by BobCoates1953 »

I have used recycled wood for segmented turnings, vase etc. I have also contacted a local cabinet shop for there plywood cut offs. The vases seem to go faster than I can make them.
Friend gave me a maple table top that I have been working on.
Bob
ljhhontx
Gold Member

Post by ljhhontx »

I have a friend that makes beautiful custom guitars from old piano soundboards, works great and they don't have finish.