it isnt often that we have a chance to say thank you

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

it isnt often that we have a chance to say thank you

Post by Hobbyman2 »

So Thank you to Ethiopia ,you have now done more to combat climate issue then the USA , they planted 350 million trees in a day.

Worldwide, about 900 million hectares of land — almost 3.5 million square miles, nearly the area of the United States — is not being used by people and could support forests, according to a recent study by researchers at the Swiss Federal Institute for Technology, ETH Zurich, that drew intense interest from environmentalists worldwide.

If trees were planted on all of that land, the study said, when they matured they could store about two-thirds of all the carbon that human activity has pumped into the atmosphere since the Industrial Revolution.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/30/worl ... ation.html
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
garys
Platinum Member

Re: it isnt often that we have a chance to say thank you

Post by garys »

I'm not ready to thank them yet. I don't believe that there is any climate issue. Last year had below normal temperatures here. This year has been even farther below normal so far and isn't showing any hope of warming up. The grain crops here are a month late and the cold and wet is damaging it in the fields as it tries to mature. Snow is just around the corner and we are expecting it early this year.

The "climate change" is just a hoax being sold by the liberals who invested heavily in industry that can make them very rich if they can sell it to enough people.

This is one man's opinion, but until I see it actually start to warm up, I'm not going to believe.
Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Post by Gene Howe »

Well, I think it's great, Gary. More trees are always a good thing. But, I am in total agreement the the balance of your post.
Sterling
Gold Member

Post by Sterling »

There are none so blind as those who will not see.

Sterling Skouson
Dansmith
Gold Member

Post by Dansmith »

IMO, climate change is real, but has nothing to do with man. The earth goes through climate cycles, and has since it's inception regardless of what man does. Nevertheless, I like trees.
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

I have been able to find the actual temperatures for each day here for the past 7 years and add them up for each year. So far, the tally is 3 years with slightly above normal temps and 4 years with slightly below normal temps. Doing simple math, that says NO CHANGE.

None so blind as those who can't see and read actual recorded temperatures.
WileyCoyote
Gold Member

Post by WileyCoyote »

They first blamed it on the holes in the Ozone. Those level have dropped to 1/3 of what they were thanks to man. Now that that is clearing up they still preaching the same thing. Until they can prove what is causing this "climate change" they are wasting our time. Mother nature is unpredictable and always has been. I love trees as much as anyone but the majority of forested trees in the United States are replenished at the rate or greater than they are depleted. Don't cut the United States short. Almost everyone is trying their best to take care of the planet, regardless of what the politicians say.
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

This discussion will get nowhere.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

algale wrote:This discussion will get nowhere.
YES!

But here is my feeble contribution to getting there.

Climate change IS occurring.

Cause is up for solving.

Now about them trees - IF the amazon jungle/forest was not being decimated the carbon thing would not be a suspect.

I like trees since I depend opon oxygen as well as for raw material.

I was amazed a week or so ago that my spot on this earth was supposedly the hottest in the lower 48(HI excepted).

Weather patterns have definitely changed. Again the source?????

No question 'we' have been pouring CO2 into the atmosphere(as well as a bunch of other chemicals).

'WE' will not accomplish anything by flapping here.

I just hope that those in a position to both truly understand the source/cause and are able to reverse the current trend can do so.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

JPG wrote:I just hope that those in a position to both truly understand the source/cause and are able to reverse the current trend can do so.

You mean those that said CO was bad and came up with catalytic converters to convert CO to CO2? I believe that humans will pollute our self's into oblivion.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob