THANK YOU µsoft [HELP]

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

THANK YOU µsoft [HELP]

Post by JPG »

Well an unfortunate sequence of 'events' occurred this week.

I updated a major revision to W10.

It seemed to take forever and timed out a few times(requiring reboot and bypassing Linux default boot[manual process so I just left in running in my absence]).

When finally completed I was greeted with the usual opening sequence.

Part of that sequence involved a 'pictorial pass test'.

All went well until I completed the clicks on the picture test.

It was defaulting to the correct 'user'(me).

However my personalization file was not accessible or whatever.

So while floundering around attempting to get past this, I somehow changed from picture test to password test. Since my feeble memory said I had NOT defined a password(null entry) I assumed that would provide an alternate door.

NOPE!!!! So I next changed to a different 'user'(one I defined way back when I first got this computer).

Well that brought me to my present 'condition.

First, what must I do to change user from that active to another that has been defined.

Lastly is there a way to access the password for a defined user(regedit etc.?)

Almost all that I have stored is inaccessible(programs as well as data files) are not accessible to my current user persona.

I have to assume there IS a back door somewhere somehow.

I cannot do most of my daily stuff since it is all in the directory(folder) structure below the now inaccessible username.

Command.com is not allowed to make any changes to the file system below that user sub directory either.

Like the thread title says, HELP!!!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
rpd
Platinum Member

Re: THANK YOU µsoft [HELP]

Post by rpd »

Many years ago, I think I was running XP at the time, my hard drive started to fail and some file got corrupted resulting in Windows not letting me log in as me, sounds similar to what is happening to you. I installed Ubuntu Linux on a USB drive, and by booting that way I was able to backup my files,

I then got a new hard drive and have been happily running Ubuntu since then (bye bye Windoze :D )
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

rpd wrote:Many years ago, I think I was running XP at the time, my hard drive started to fail and some file got corrupted resulting in Windows not letting me log in as me, sounds similar to what is happening to you. I installed Ubuntu Linux on a USB drive, and by booting that way I was able to backup my files,

I then got a new hard drive and have been happily running Ubuntu since then (bye bye Windoze :D )

Similar indeed!!!

I will see IF ubuntu(older version) will give me access to the files!!! Thank You
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

Have ya tried using "control panel/credential manager " ?
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Before you do too much else it would be good to know if you still have anything to save. If you go to your local disk (C:) and the Users folder and see what names appear.

Typically you will see your login name and another directory called Public. If you see another name that you don't know that is more then likely the new place the computer assigned you that is missing all your information. The old login name most likely has all the "good" information still there.

The easy way to fix this is not "nice" but it can be done sort of. If you are still stuck we can talk about these options......

Just need to know how bad it is. Assumed you have tried to login with the old name and information? Lower right corner, right click then click on "All settings" then "Accounts" have a look at "Your info" and then "Sign-in options".

Keep us informed.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

What screen are you assuming with the lower right right click suggestion?

As for directories under users, there is public, jpg(the one currently being used), red(the one I want to be) and administrator as well as some other directories.

Ubuntu can find the files. I checked and they do appear to be intact(all under RED user directory).

Any time I attempt to access ant thing under user\red causes a prompt for password for red.

I have no problem with getting messy(not nice), but think doing so publicly on this forum is not a good way to proceed. I also am more DOS literate than WINDOWS literate. I LIKE Command.com, but it also is filtering by user.

PM me your e-mail address and we can continue there. AND THANK YOU!!!!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Maybe this is not too bad. Reboot and you should get to a login screen. If you see the "red" login then you can try this: There should be sign-in options. If you setup a microsoft account then pick that option and see if that gets you anywhere.

Ed
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

reible wrote:Maybe this is not too bad. Reboot and you should get to a login screen. If you see the "red" login then you can try this: There should be sign-in options. If you setup a microsoft account then pick that option and see if that gets you anywhere.

Ed
I am NOT getting that login screen, It goes direct to welcome jpg after the initial pretty picture and time/date.

I fear the hard disk may be funky. I keep getting a toshiba error message(disk monitor??)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I don't know how current this is but you might give it a try. BTW my windows is an early copy of the 2020 fall release so things might be a bit different but I don't think these things changed.

After you sign in, you can press Windows + L on your keyboard to lock Windows 10 and then click or tap on the Lock Screen to display the sign-in screen. By default, Windows 10 loads the most recent user account that was used to sign in. The list of available user accounts is shown in the bottom-left corner of the screen.

Another option is from the Start menu. When you click on it there will be a vertical strip of icons, the top most is the one you want, often it will be a picture of you or an icon representing you. When you click on that you should see other login names, like red. Pick that and you should be ready to login with that information.

The old dos CTRL+ALT+Delete keys might also work, try the "switch users".

If any of these works then problem solved. If not we can go on to other things. This is what I mentioned in my first post on this subject:

The lower right screen should have something that looks at least some what like mine:
screen.jpg
screen.jpg (84.36 KiB) Viewed 15023 times
Then a new window comes up pick "All Settings"
Then "Accounts"

See if you have any other options to use there or

Open the control panel (type in control panel on the lower left of the screen where the "Type here to search" box is.

The pick the "User Accounts"

This will bring up more options to see if you can find the account you want and sign into it. One of those options will take you to the PC settings which is where you just were under Accounts so look below that for other options.

This is about it for the easy stuff that I remember. From here it can get messy.

Ed
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

ctrl alt del gets me to several options including switch user.

The choices are "jpg" and "red". Jpg is the default with apparently no password. red is the one I need to get on.

The knotty problem remains. I cannot get any probable password to work on the account(red) that is registered as an administrator. I have been using the picture pass for a couple of years and do not recall the last time I logged in with a password.

I think we need to get messy! I doubt anything that runs under W10 will allow making order out of the mess.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝