Spring Purchase

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Spooner
Gold Member

Re: Spring Purchase

Post by Spooner »

Check out these beauties.... Wonder if they'd make a nice sled...

https://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cat ... erbars.htm

Anyone tried them?
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Spooner wrote:Check out these beauties.... Wonder if they'd make a nice sled...

https://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cat ... erbars.htm

Anyone tried them?
I use them on my cross cut sled and they work very well. I do wish, however, that they were a bit longer (for my sled).
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Spooner wrote:Soooo Arbor with Blade we're looking at 2 1/4"? Correct?
I would be thinking 2 3/8 to allow some clearance. ;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Spooner
Gold Member

Post by Spooner »

dusty wrote: I use them on my cross cut sled and they work very well. I do wish, however, that they were a bit longer (for my sled).
Longer why Dusty?
Spooner
Gold Member

Post by Spooner »

JPG wrote:
I was thinking a 2 1/2" draw would do the trick. I could still see it hanging up on 2 3/8" if it's not seated in the drawer right.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Spooner wrote:
JPG wrote:
I was thinking a 2 1/2" draw would do the trick. I could still see it hanging up on 2 3/8" if it's not seated in the drawer right.
A post for the arbor to fit over would eliminate the tendency to rock.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Spooner
Gold Member

Post by Spooner »

JPG wrote: A post for the arbor to fit over would eliminate the tendency to rock.
Hey that's not a bad idea.
Spooner
Gold Member

Post by Spooner »

Does anyone have the SS Shaper Cutters? If so what diameter are they and how high are they? I am gathering dimensions of bits, blades, fences and so on to figure out what size tool cabinet I need. I want do draw them out and see if I can get everything to fit.
Spooner
Gold Member

Post by Spooner »

Also what are the dimensions for the table inserts? the one for the saw blade, dado head, shaper and so on?
tucsonguy
Gold Member

Post by tucsonguy »

Lift Assist, Miter set, premium casters... all excellent. If there's one tool I use regularly even with the Powerpro it is the speed reducer - for forstner bits and other work.
I spent a fair amount of time getting the mortising system to work properly and I have to say it's marginal. The length of the tools adds too much play and the table has too much flex to cut through well. I made a special table insert which lets me put a rod underneath all the way to the floor to remove the flex... then it worked pretty well. Not before then...
Shopsmith full set of drill bits is a nice investment too.
Geoff Baker
1951 10ER w variable speed electronic motor with reverse
1999 520 w PowerPro
Belt sander - strip sander - bandsaw - scrollsaw - jointer - overarm router - undertable router mounted on main SS saw table - speed increaser - speed reducer - forced air HEPA filter for headstock - 19" SS powered aluminum drum sander - index wheel system - lathe table crossslide vise system