Sawsmith 2000

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Tenfingers
Gold Member

Re: Sawsmith 2000

Post by Tenfingers »

Hello, I picked up a ss 2000 at a yard sale for 50 dollars and can't seem to figure out how to lock the blade. Any tips you can give would be very helpful.

Spuntwood@gmail.com
recurvearcher wrote:I am the second owner of a SS2000, I'm pretty happy with it. But, as Everett said, you must be aware you are buying an unsupported SS oddity.
Mine had very light use when I purchased it and I've continued that. I use it mostly with the blade locked and only use the slider when it makes the cut easier. I haven't had any alignment problems or breakdowns. They have an open motor with just okay dust collection. So cleaning is a priority.
I bought mine purely because I liked the design when it was new, but felt it was overpriced for what it was at that time. It was a hobby/contractor saw, priced like a full cabinet saw when new.
As for your saw's price, $650 seems fairly steep for a SS2000. For that, I would expect a near mint, top of the line model with the upgraded fence and a full set of table inserts,Dado etc. If you're a SS Junkie like me, it may be money well spent,they don't come up for sale that often.
At that price point you can pick up a really nice contractor's saw and very likely a full on cabinet saw. Hope this helps. Enjoy the saw!
recurvearcher
Gold Member

Post by recurvearcher »

By locking the blade, are you referring to the actual blade or the sliding mechanism?
There is no lock on the actual blade and it removes with wrenches like any other table saw.
The slide mechanism is locked by rotating the large disc, on the same rod that pulls the blade forward.
Here is a link to a pdf of the factory manual:

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/detail.aspx?id=18151

Hope this helps, enjoy your new SS2K!
Tenfingers
Gold Member

Post by Tenfingers »

Thank you sir, shown in use around 8:15 on in my cutting board video,

https://youtu.be/y7HY-zFd2ks

There are two shopsmiths in my shop, every part and add on, zero instructions...

I had both tool rests explode on me trying to use the lathe, so "upgraded"

Great for a sanding station and the other ss is and many add ons are moving on to the next guy. I really like the ss, but spent more time maneuvering and adjusting than woodworking.

I've learned a lot but this part has absolutely baffled me. On the knob shown at that moment, there is only a knob and no disk, the large disk is not present. I've stared at this manual for hours and may have missed it. Thanks!

If figure this out, I'll make a video of how to make the parts and all. I sure stuff like this has no love on YouTube from what I've seen. Even a simple how-to would be so helpful.

Table saws aren't that difficult but I've never seen anything like the ss2000. I don't want to have to change my username.

recurvearcher wrote:By locking the blade, are you referring to the actual blade or the sliding mechanism?
There is no lock on the actual blade and it removes with wrenches like any other table saw.
The slide mechanism is locked by rotating the large disc, on the same rod that pulls the blade forward.
Here is a link to a pdf of the factory manual:

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/detail.aspx?id=18151

Hope this helps, enjoy your new SS2K!
recurvearcher
Gold Member

Post by recurvearcher »

I just watched your video,nice work. Looking at your SS2K, you are indeed missing the locking mechanism for the slide feature.

One would have to do quite a bit of work to get the locking assembly parts off the shaft. I suspect most of the parts are still present and that at some point, the plastic locking disk at the front was broken off. The locking collar/collet is likely still on the slide shaft,might be worth a look. If it's there, you should be able to fabricate a substitute lock ring.

Couldn't help but notice the Shopsmith overarm pin router in the video. That's a really versatile tool and not as much of an orphan as the table saw.

Your brother sure set you up with nice variety of Shopsmith equipment. Enjoy!

Tenfingers
Gold Member

Post by Tenfingers »

I have achieved redneck repair status. I'll post a video later this evening but here's a pic. It looks like the part sheared off but I was able to Fashion something to work. Luckily all the parts needed we're in the garage as can be seen from the picture LOL.