Today in the shop (shopsmith MFT V2)

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

sehast
Gold Member

Re: Today in the shop (shopsmith MFT V2)

Post by sehast »

I have used indexing pins many times on my CNC for two sided machining and have found the to be very accurate if used correctly. I have no fear that I can attain better than .001" accuracy for each move of the tape board. Compared with the possible error generated by an increase span distance that is insignificant. Repeatability is one of the SO's strong suits. As long as there is no change in the tape layout and the geometry there is no reason it just doesn't keep cranking out the same results in hole placement for each sector. But we will see how it works out.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

If you can really get .001" accuracy from the starting location to each pin then it will pretty likely work. Certainly try it.

I really don't have the time or desire to explain how this tolerance thing should work but for things like an MFT in theory all measurements should be from one point so that any one of them being off will not effect the others. By using index pins you create groups with each group being as accurate as the others but if any error creeps in during the indexing then the over all hole placement will be off.

I wish there was a way to really get accurate measurements of this sort of thing. I didn't really expect holes on each end of mine to align yet they did. I was expecting the error to be progressive away from the 0,0 point.
IMG_4175sac.jpg
IMG_4175sac.jpg (261.84 KiB) Viewed 12090 times
This was my very first try and when I got the first two in I figured the other end, in this case the one closest to the camera wouldn't fit. But it slid right in.

So when does the cutting start?

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
sehast
Gold Member

Post by sehast »

Unfortunately I have to finish up a furniture project that has been nagging me for a couple of months now so it will be at least another few weeks. Also Christmas is coming and I have not started on gifts for the grandkids. I thought retirement would be a little more tranquil.
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

Ed Reible
Thanks! Great info great pictures!
Question of all your tables which do you like the most?
Which do you use the most?
Which table affixing systems seems best the through hole or the T track?

If money was not an issue but you were only going to invest in one system
What would you buy? Which table? Which clamps, which guides, which fixtures?

Thanks again for taking the time to answer our questions!
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Ed in Tampa wrote:Ed Reible
Thanks! Great info great pictures!
Question of all your tables which do you like the most?
Which do you use the most?
Which table affixing systems seems best the through hole or the T track?

If money was not an issue but you were only going to invest in one system
What would you buy? Which table? Which clamps, which guides, which fixtures?

Thanks again for taking the time to answer our questions!
I did not post the other "table" which is for the drill press, I'll try and add that later today.

If given money is an issue I still went with and would still go with the Festool stuff and the add-ons that other have come up with. The Rockler table while it was a major upgrade for me has ended up pretty much just sitting there since I've gotten the MFT and array of clamping options.

I think for a lot of my projects it really depends on what I see myself doing that day. Since everything that comes out has to go back in at the end of the day it is a little much to take it all out and put it all back just to have the optimal table set up for each thing.

As an example, the other day I timed myself from starting a project and hauling to project tools to the backyard. To get everything ready to start the actual project took 43 minutes. One way to get my steps in. Had I brought out more tables for optional convenience it would have been much longer. Then of course you forget this or that or find you need something else so more time and steps add up even after that.

As far as the things that I have purchased as additions to the MFT I'm pretty happy with all of them. I did buy a cheaper rip guide system but they were a fly-by-night company and disappeared before coming out with some promised products. That turned out to be a good thing as I found that the connectors could slip and all of a sudden your parallel were not so parallel any more. Just stay away from the lesser know stuff until they prove themselves I guess.

Of course I add more things every year so some turn out to be better then I have and some don't. Some are new version that are much improved and somethings are just things I don't have and want. Yea it is a money pit but as they say to be Festool poor you have to buy.

Ed
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

This is my drill press table with the 20mm hole and 96mm spacing. I clamp it to my shopsmith main table which allows some additional placement adjustments.

I pretty much leave it on but not attached so I can adjust placement or take it off and get it out of the way.
thumbnail.jpg
thumbnail.jpg (162.17 KiB) Viewed 12038 times
So this should do it for this thread unless anyone else has questions or comments.

Ed
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

The last couple of days I had my shopsmith mft set up for some projects so just before I took it down today I shot a picture.
table on shopsmith.jpg
table on shopsmith.jpg (195.02 KiB) Viewed 11815 times
It was nice having the table pretty high for this usage, and as you might notice I have the extension tables mounted backwards to give me more room in the front, it all works.

Ed
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Ed, You certainly do know how to "pack a garage". :) :)
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.