installing upgraded lower saw guide: V 500

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

djscruggs
Gold Member

installing upgraded lower saw guide: V 500

Post by djscruggs »

I feel like I might be coming to the SS well awfully frequently, but honestly, on some issues, I just can't locate a response anywhere else.

I just ordered and received (off ebay) an upgrade to the lower saw saw guide for my Mark V 500. The photo doesn't show the actual guard which works fine. But these are the pieces that confuse me.
lower guard A.jpg
lower guard A.jpg (193.7 KiB) Viewed 10181 times
There are no instructions. On the one hand, this looks pretty similar to the one I am replacing, but with places for two 2.5 " hoses. But I cannot figure out what the additional two pieces with tabs are to be used for?

This next picture shows the this piece when placing it where it appears to belong on the Shopsmith.
Inkedlower guard B_LI.jpg
Inkedlower guard B_LI.jpg (164.58 KiB) Viewed 10181 times
The tab opening (1) in the upgrade is no longer aligned with the twistable tab (2) on the machine.

Everything so far about my Shopsmith has been so freaking well designed, its ALMOST self explanatory. But I can't tell if I'm just missing some key parts, or perhaps I'm trying to mount this wrong, or perhaps, this is where those two parts in photo #1 come into to play, but I don't understand how.

Would love to know the missing secret!

Thanks in advance
rpd
Platinum Member

Re: installing upgraded lower saw guide: V 500

Post by rpd »

You can download the manual fro the lower guard upgrade from this link.

http://www.lhdigest.com/SS/MANUALS/OTHE ... 555294.pdf
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
djscruggs
Gold Member

Re: installing upgraded lower saw guide: V 500

Post by djscruggs »

I knew it....there are always Shopsmith plans around somewhere! Thanks so much....just did a quick read. It looks tricky.

David

fingers crossed