Oops - and a new project

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

bainin
Platinum Member

Oops - and a new project

Post by bainin »

I was ripping some narrow material and got a kickback. Just taking a narrow strip off the edge of a board.

Of course I didn't see exactly what happened, but based on the ZCI damage, I think the board lifted at the back and was then promptly fired, angled down into the ZCI and blew the hole in it.

Hard for me to imagine it raising off the table as it was held down with featherboards on the fence-but its clear SOMETHING happened :)

You see it actually damaged the end of my pusher as well.
bang
bang
bang.jpg (144.88 KiB) Viewed 17088 times
Anyways-the new project was figuring out how to make a new insert on my own once I realized a SS replacement would be $20 and some days.

New insert was made with 1/4 Maple ply and seems to do a pretty good job.

Next steps: Buy one of those GRR-Rippers and make some kind of fence extension that doesn't leave me in tight spaces between the fence and the blade. That always makes me feel less comfortable on a cut.

b
Spooner
Gold Member

Re: Oops - and a new project

Post by Spooner »

Damn Bainin that could have been all sorts of ugly if you hadn't had the feather board in place and using a push stick. Close call... Bet it made you jump. LOL... The new insert looks nice. I don't have my SS yet. Are all ZCI's made of plastic?
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

They need to be made from material that the blade will cut through as the blank is lowered onto it.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

[quote="Spooner"]Damn Bainin that could have been all sorts of ugly if you hadn't had the feather board in place and using a push stick. Close call... Bet it made you jump. LOL... The new insert looks nice. I don't have my SS yet. Are all ZCI's made of plastic?[/quote]

I don't know that ALL ZCI are made of plastic or not BUT not all table inserts are made of plastic. All of my "original" table inserts were metallic (I think aluminum". When I acquired my first Crafters Station it came to me with non-metallic table inserts none of which were ZCI.

I now make all of my own ZCI and most of them have been made using Baltic Birch plywood.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
bainin
Platinum Member

Post by bainin »

Yea-the kickback woke me up. Of course, this is the ONE time in months that the wife is standing nearby-yet confirming again for her that I'm a danger :)

For inserts I have seen :

Metallic, red painted standard saw inserts ...I assume these are from SS-i have a few of these.

Plastic, red inserts (the now destroyed ZCI above), for shaper and router (round opening).

Plastic, red "blanks" that you saw thru for your particular application/blade.

Home made-wood inserts using 1/4" stiff wood-typically harder ply's.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

An occasional "kick back" is a necessity. When one happens to you, you know that you have done something stupid. Learn from it!

I got hit in the chest just yesterday with a piece of plywood (about 14"x14") that I was cutting on the table saw. I saw it happening but had no time to avoid the obvious. Later I found my rip fence was not parallel to the blade squeezing the work piece on the outfeed side. No scars, no bruises and no witness. Just lucky, no emergency room.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

Inserts and push sticks are expendable. Consider them consumables. If you have no bruises or cuts, consider it a win and replace the parts that broke. I make my own zero clearance inserts because I figure they are expendable. I've never had one break up like that yet, but I've "worn out" a few by cutting too many different shaped cuts into them for different jobs. When that happens, they go to the trash.
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

If you could, open the rear of the slot to 1/4" using a router bit and you will have room to use the riving knife and the anti kickback pawls to prevent the stock from lifting off the table. Don't know why the piece would lift if the finger boards were used correctly. A picture of the setup would help greatly.
Bill V
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

bainin wrote:I was ripping some narrow material and got a kickback. Just taking a narrow strip off the edge of a board.

Of course I didn't see exactly what happened, but based on the ZCI damage, I think the board lifted at the back and was then promptly fired, angled down into the ZCI and blew the hole in it.

Hard for me to imagine it raising off the table as it was held down with featherboards on the fence-but its clear SOMETHING happened :)

You see it actually damaged the end of my pusher as well.

bang.jpg

Anyways-the new project was figuring out how to make a new insert on my own once I realized a SS replacement would be $20 and some days.

New insert was made with 1/4 Maple ply and seems to do a pretty good job.

Next steps: Buy one of those GRR-Rippers and make some kind of fence extension that doesn't leave me in tight spaces between the fence and the blade. That always makes me feel less comfortable on a cut.

b
How narrow? Very narrow against the fence is not the way to do it. That could cause what you experienced.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
bainin
Platinum Member

Post by bainin »

Well the fence was off to right side of the blade.

Featherboard pushing down on the piece between the blade and fence without much room beyond the width of the featherboard (maybe 3/4"?)

The strip being cut off was probably only 1/4" or so.

I was push blocking downward in front of the blade while pushing thru with the push stick.

At some point there isnt much left to push block on and then was relying on the featherboard and the push stick to continue thru the cut.

I'd love to hear a better way to do these tight cuts.

b