General Dust Collection Discussion

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Spooner
Gold Member

General Dust Collection Discussion

Post by Spooner »

I don't know a lot about dust collection. I bought a dust collector years ago and have plugged it into whatever bench tool I'm using at the time. I'd like to park it in one corner of the garage and hook it to a duct system through out the garage. But I have no idea where to start.

I have an older version of this. https://www.harborfreight.com/2-hp-indu ... 97869.html

I am loosely aware that you will have suction issues if you don't size your tubing right. But have no idea what the correct method is. I have a few blast gates as well.

Any guidance would be great!!!
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: General Dust Collection Discussion

Post by JPG »

╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Spooner
Gold Member

Post by Spooner »

thanks JPG that's gold right there.
Spooner
Gold Member

Post by Spooner »

Anyone by chance know the Cubic Feet Per Minute Rating or the Static Pressure Rating for the Harbor Freight 2hp Dust Collector?
Tenfingers
Gold Member

Post by Tenfingers »

Hello, I recently made a video on a trash can cyclone that I red-neck engineered utilizing the Harbor Freight dust collector and it works wonders.

https://youtu.be/KSSzVc63JWo

I would prefer a little stronger of a trash can and now that the proof of concept has worked, Ill likely transition to a quick disconnect from the trash can and a metal can so I can seal it up better. Take a look and let me know what you think..
Spooner
Gold Member

Post by Spooner »

Tenfingers wrote:Hello, I recently made a video on a trash can cyclone that I red-neck engineered utilizing the Harbor Freight dust collector and it works wonders.

https://youtu.be/KSSzVc63JWo

I would prefer a little stronger of a trash can and now that the proof of concept has worked, Ill likely transition to a quick disconnect from the trash can and a metal can so I can seal it up better. Take a look and let me know what you think..
I'll tell you one thing Tenfingers you know how to make sawdust. LOL... I like the concept but I'll bet you'd have even better results if you used a Thien Baffle in there as well...

I found a 3D printed Cyclone I'm going to print and see how well that works.
Tenfingers
Gold Member

Post by Tenfingers »

I think it's a compliment. Better than making enemies. I'm going to try to make one once I get everything to the final location.

But was impressed with the success. Not all of my redneck engineering works.
Spooner
Gold Member

Post by Spooner »

Tenfingers wrote:I think it's a compliment. Better than making enemies. I'm going to try to make one once I get everything to the final location.

But was impressed with the success. Not all of my redneck engineering works.
You should take that as a compliment. Thats what it was meant as. LOL...

How does the plastic can hold up to the vacuum pressure?
Tenfingers
Gold Member

Post by Tenfingers »

It does OK but my expectations for longevity are very low. I have a metal can ready to go for replacement but would prefer to use a 50 gallon drum. Luckily, its a short trip to the burn pile..
Flanker27
Bronze Member

Post by Flanker27 »

Couldn't it be possible to use the metal drum straight away and just 3D print what's needed to complete the cyclone filter?