Time to discuss Attachments

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Spooner
Gold Member

Re: Time to discuss Attachments

Post by Spooner »

Okay... I got some serial numbers.

Bandsaw - Magna Brand - 45083
Jointer - Magna Brand - 1066874
Jigsaw - Magna Brand - 79724

A few pix of the band saw but not many. Just pix of the serial number plates on the others.
Spooner
Gold Member

Post by Spooner »

Can anyone point me in the direction to find an age for these things? Or Parts? Or owner's manuals?
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

The Band Saw was made after June of 1961, the last date before Band Saw numbers are missing (like the Mark 5 list), and guessing it is a Goldie made by Yuba.

None of the Magna/Shopsmith Jointer serial numbers have more than six digits.

The Jig Saw was made in early 1958 and should be a Greenie. Again missing numbers in the chart.

As for parts the Band Saw and Jointer can use current parts as very few changes have been made to these two tools. The biggest difference for the Band Saw is the new table and the Jointer the dust chute and safety features which can be added to these older tools. The Jig Saw is out of production and Shopsmith has very few parts left.

A digital version of the current Band Saw Manual is available on the SS website at this link. https://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/manuals/845539.pdf

A restored copy of the Jointer Manual 1960's is on Everett's google drive under the Maintenance and Repair section for Shopsmith Large Format Drawings, Illustrations and More by Everett Davis.

I don't remember where I found the digital copy of the 1965 Jig Saw Manual and it is to large to post here.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
Spooner
Gold Member

Post by Spooner »

chapmanruss wrote:The Band Saw was made after June of 1961, the last date before Band Saw numbers are missing (like the Mark 5 list), and guessing it is a Goldie made by Yuba.
In the picture of the model plate he sent me it does say Magna American Corporation. Model # 505641
20190930_202034.jpg
20190930_202034.jpg (53.66 KiB) Viewed 14218 times
chapmanruss wrote: None of the Magna/Shopsmith Jointer serial numbers have more than six digits.
Looking at the picture of the model plate it says Manga Power Tool Corp. Model 620 and the serial number looks like there could be a 1 at the beginning but if not I can tell for sure the 6 numbers are 066874. Might be an "N" in front of that. Does that help?
20190930_201855.jpg
20190930_201855.jpg (50.57 KiB) Viewed 14218 times
chapmanruss wrote:The Jig Saw was made in early 1958 and should be a Greenie. Again missing numbers in the chart.

As for parts the Band Saw and Jointer can use current parts as very few changes have been made to these two tools. The biggest difference for the Band Saw is the new table and the Jointer the dust chute and safety features which can be added to these older tools. The Jig Saw is out of production and Shopsmith has very few parts left.
20190930_203137.jpg
20190930_203137.jpg (62.62 KiB) Viewed 14217 times
That's good to know... The jig saw was in the worst shape of any of them. We were talking about sinking money into it but if parts are rare then perhaps we get a newer one.

Thanks Russ...
Spooner
Gold Member

Post by Spooner »

How small do the pdf files have to be in order to be able to post them?
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

The Jointer Serial Number is MO66874 made in May 1958. When they changed to Yuba they started adding the MO prefix to the Jointer serial numbers. Yours is the lowest S/N I have seen with the MO prefix and the only one still a Model 620 not a 620-C. It is likely one of the first ones made after Yuba formed. It took some time (as late as 1960) before all the SPT's Label/Serial Number plates changed from Magna PTC to Yube Power Products.

If you buy another Jig Saw make sure it has the parts you are missing for the one you already have. There was only one change made to the Jig Saw over the years, besides paint colors, and that is the table tilt lock. It later changed to a Hex Head Cap Screw and Washer. A word of warning, Do Not run the Jig Saw without adding oil to the housing under the name/serial number plate through the screw plug found there. If you need a replacement gasket for the main housing cover you can make one and I can post a picture of it if you need it.

The Band Saw with the Model Number 505641 makes it made in 1964 or later. Magna American Corporation changed the part numbers to six digit numbers starting in the beginning of 1964. Before that the Band Saw was Model Number 630.

I do not recall what the maximum file size is for PDF's.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

chapmanruss wrote:The Jointer Serial Number is MO66874 made in May 1958. When they changed to Yuba they started adding the MO prefix to the Jointer serial numbers. Yours is the lowest S/N I have seen with the MO prefix and the only one still a Model 620 not a 620-C. It is likely one of the first ones made after Yuba formed. It took some time (as late as 1960) before all the SPT's Label/Serial Number plates changed from Magna PTC to Yube Power Products.

If you buy another Jig Saw make sure it has the parts you are missing for the one you already have. There was only one change made to the Jig Saw over the years, besides paint colors, and that is the table tilt lock. It later changed to a Hex Head Cap Screw and Washer. A word of warning, Do Not run the Jig Saw without adding oil to the housing under the name/serial number plate through the screw plug found there. If you need a replacement gasket for the main housing cover you can make one and I can post a picture of it if you need it.

The Band Saw with the Model Number 505641 makes it made in 1964 or later. Magna American Corporation changed the part numbers to six digit numbers starting in the beginning of 1964. Before that the Band Saw was Model Number 630.

I do not recall what the maximum file size is for PDF's.
Max file size is 2MB regardless of type (JPG, PDF, etc.)
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

You can get the jigsaw manual from this link.

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/detail.aspx?id=10571

The most common part to fail is the yoke, which is made of plastic.

There is someone on ebay who is 3d printing them, or you can make one. :)

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rb17icIjzeA[/youtube]
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
Spooner
Gold Member

Post by Spooner »

jsburger wrote: Max file size is 2MB regardless of type (JPG, PDF, etc.)
Thanks JS.
Spooner
Gold Member

Post by Spooner »

Thanks a ton Russ!!! That is all good stuff. It's hard to believe these tools are nearly 60 some years old ish.

RPD thanks for the link. That will be a big help getting it cleaned up. I have a 3d printer. I'll bet I could come up with something myself.

Thanks guys.