Can a 12" Planer w/o feed motor be converted to manual feed?

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Re: Can a 12" Planer w/o feed motor be converted to manual feed?

Post by chapmanruss »

There is a motor, controller and misc. parts listed as original in box, never used for auction on eBay which ends Monday Oct. 8 at 3:40 PM PST
Current bid $56.00
10-08.jpg
10-08.jpg (253 KiB) Viewed 14391 times
I have a hand crank for the planers in what I believe is the original box which is marked with part number 505998. I do not have a planer manual old enough to confirm if it is a correct part number. Also this part number is no longer available.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I am very skeptical. Yes, it says "Original in box. never used" in one place but elsewhere in the ad it is described as used. If the motor runs this is probably a "STEAL" at $56 and especially if the offer includes everything in the photo image. The control box itself is worth that much. I have it on my watch list - just because I am very curious.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Has it been removed???
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

JPG wrote:Has it been removed???
No. It is still there as of 10/3/2018.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Shopsmith-Plan ... Sw85Jbsp-U
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

There is still time to ask the seller if he/she has tried to plug it in and run the motor. If they have not they could try it to confirm it is in good working order. It should not hurt it to be run without being connected to a Planer.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
Novasteve74
Bronze Member

Post by Novasteve74 »

So I know this thread is quite old by this point, but I stumbled upon it due to the fact that I currently have a VO3537AA80 feed motor with a broken brush holder and missing cap/brush. After digging through this thread, I realized I may be of help since, coincidentally, I live in Whittier, CA just off of Painter Ave. near Eurton Electric. I'll try to get in contact with them and bring them my feed motor, to see if I can get a definite answer on whether they have a matching brush holder or not!
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

Novasteve74 wrote:So I know this thread is quite old by this point, but I stumbled upon it due to the fact that I currently have a VO3537AA80 feed motor with a broken brush holder and missing cap/brush. After digging through this thread, I realized I may be of help since, coincidentally, I live in Whittier, CA just off of Painter Ave. near Eurton Electric. I'll try to get in contact with them and bring them my feed motor, to see if I can get a definite answer on whether they have a matching brush holder or not!
There is a thread here where we discussed this exact topic. The company that made the motor is still in business. Brushes, holders and caps are pretty standard. Do a search and you will find the thread with all the info you need.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

jsburger wrote:
Novasteve74 wrote:So I know this thread is quite old by this point, but I stumbled upon it due to the fact that I currently have a VO3537AA80 feed motor with a broken brush holder and missing cap/brush. After digging through this thread, I realized I may be of help since, coincidentally, I live in Whittier, CA just off of Painter Ave. near Eurton Electric. I'll try to get in contact with them and bring them my feed motor, to see if I can get a definite answer on whether they have a matching brush holder or not!
There is a thread here where we discussed this exact topic. The company that made the motor is still in business. Brushes, holders and caps are pretty standard. Do a search and you will find the thread with all the info you need.
John, as near as I can tell this IS that thread. But I didn’t see a source for holders and caps.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

BuckeyeDennis wrote:
jsburger wrote:
John, as near as I can tell this IS that thread. But I didn’t see a source for holders and caps.
Yes it is, sorry I didn't check. Again Vonwise is still making motors. Given that the brushes are standard I would think the caps and holders are also.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

jsburger wrote:
BuckeyeDennis wrote:
jsburger wrote:
Yes it is, sorry I didn't check. Again Vonwise is still making motors. Given that the brushes are standard I would think the caps and holders are also.

Here is the link to the post within this thread I believe you are seeking

https://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/view ... 73#p252073

Everett