Old router table

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

bainin
Platinum Member

Old router table

Post by bainin »

I spent a few weeks mucking my way through a replacement router table.

The old one needed to go - as you can see. It was part of an old office desk.

With no pin/ no safety for rails/featherboards/fencing etc it was used rarely due to the shear terror of it.

old-router-table.jpg
old-router-table.jpg (119.95 KiB) Viewed 19511 times

I followed this design which seemed reasonably doable for my skill level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMhIZ9WkNbI

Most of the instructions and assembly were good-a few things missing here and there but i got through. I chose a Jessem Rout-R-Lift II for the insert.

Took me awhile -but close now, just need to make the fence and install a kill switch.

Most of the mistakes are luckily on the inside.

b

new-router-table.jpg
new-router-table.jpg (68.73 KiB) Viewed 19511 times
edflorence
Platinum Member

Re: Old router table

Post by edflorence »

Very nice upgrade! The new table looks great!
Ed
Idaho Panhandle
Mark 5 of various vintages, Mini with reversing motor, bs, dc3300, jointer, increaser, decreaser
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I would be inclined to add holes at the bottom of the door rather than at the rear as 'she' did.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

I'm thinking you will really like it. Changing bits might take a bit of effort as you will have to reach inside the compartment, but a solid table like that should make routing work easy. And, we all know if the job goes easy, we do a better job.

I needed a router table a few years ago, and remembered that I had an old Hirsh saw table hanging on my garage wall. I took it and used it for my router. It already had the fence and miter, as well as a kill switch installed.
bainin
Platinum Member

Post by bainin »

JPG- yeah- i think it will need some holes somewhere otherwise every crack and crevice will be whistling under vaccuum. Her choice of the back likely was an aesthetic choice rather than an air movement choice.

Garys-actually-the lift is able to bring the bit up high enough you can access everything from the top side. I like your table design- portable to the outside which means dealing with dust collection goes away. I hate dust collection !

bit-removal.jpg
bit-removal.jpg (59 KiB) Viewed 19452 times

b
Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Post by Gene Howe »

A couple things that made my RT a bit more friendly were 1.An on/off type foot pedal switch and, 2. A dedicated cheap cordless drill with a hex rod insert to operate the Jessem lift.
bainin
Platinum Member

Post by bainin »

Alright-its near complete now.

Hopefully now I can use it to come up with some sort of manly handles/knobs for the drawers.
router-table.jpg
router-table.jpg (100.95 KiB) Viewed 19306 times
Not happy with the stickiness of the Milescraft featherboards. They tend to stick in the t-slots and not slide easily when loosened and the bolt tilts.

I added an extra hardwood edge to the fence which goes along with the table surface theme..as I had enough of the material still around.

It seems to catch pretty much all the dust generated-though I haven't run it long term to look for build up.
router-table-back.jpg
router-table-back.jpg (74.96 KiB) Viewed 19306 times

b
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

She’s looking great!

You can’t make them with a router table, but these are the manliest drawer pulls I’ve ever seen. :cool:
rebar drawer pulls.jpg
rebar drawer pulls.jpg (61.6 KiB) Viewed 19258 times
bainin
Platinum Member

Post by bainin »

rebar- a manly good idea !
masonsailor2
Platinum Member

Post by masonsailor2 »

Very nice !