Safety

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

vrodbrad
Gold Member

Safety

Post by vrodbrad »

So back on Saturday I was using my jointer and the guard popped off the board caught and went just right that three of my fingers went into the spinning blades. Yep lost three fingers at the index knuckles.

So here is my safety tip. Whether you buy used or new go over your safety equipment and make sure it works the way it is suppose to. It may prevent an injury like mine or worse

That is all
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Re: Safety

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

vrodbrad wrote:So back on Saturday I was using my jointer and the guard popped off the board caught and went just right that three of my fingers went into the spinning blades. Yep lost three fingers at the index knuckles.

So here is my safety tip. Whether you buy used or new go over your safety equipment and make sure it works the way it is suppose to. It may prevent an injury like mine or worse

That is all
Yikes, I'm very sorry to hear this! :eek: I believe that's the worst Shopsmith injury I've seen on this forum, going back to 2012.

I'd like to learn more about what went wrong, as I surely don't want to ever have a similar accident. Have you figured out what went wrong with your jointer guard?

Were you edge jointing, or face jointing? I generally hold the board with my bare hands when edge jointing, but use push blocks when face jointing.
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

Yikes !! very sorry to hear this as well , I also know these kinds of injures can cause people to leave the hobby . father of a very good friend of my lost a couple fingers on a table saw , I nearly lost a thumb on a power miter box years ago ,band saws are another dangerous tool , saw guards are very important and they do serve a purpose . I wish you a fast recovery .
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
vrodbrad
Gold Member

Post by vrodbrad »

Thanks Hobbyman. I will stay with the hobby. It helps. With my ptsd and is relaxing for me. Will get back to the wood once healed
vrodbrad
Gold Member

Post by vrodbrad »

Thanks for the question Buckey. I was face jointing. Which brings up a very good point you mentioned. I was not using my push block. That could have saved me the pain also. Not sure about guard yet have not been back to my tools yet. My guess the knob was not on securely to hold guard properly. Not sure though.

I few things I did not do caused my injury. And could possibly been avoided I.E dibble checking safety guards to make sure they are working properly. Always use push blocks not your hands
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

PUSH BLOCK for ALL face jointing operations!!!

I have had a couple close calls but luckily have not paid the price.

I am very sorry to hear about your experience.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
john
Platinum Member

Post by john »

Never like to read this type of post!

We all get a litlle complacent over time but your experience quickly brings us back to reality.

I hope your injury heals quickly.

John
bainin
Platinum Member

Post by bainin »

Very sorry.

Thank you for reminding us all that its safety first.

I recalled seeing this shopsmith jointer accident awhile back.
It sounds somewhat similar, involving a guard failure of some sort.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uH7B4AewocE

b
vrodbrad
Gold Member

Post by vrodbrad »

I agree complacencies played a big factor. Not doing what I know I should be doing cause I did not take. Not making sure the knob on guard was secure cause thinking it was already secure. And thinking I am only doing this one board and it will be quick it will take longer to get my push blocks. If I would of taken that little bit of extra time my injury most likely.

So to all. Take that extra time. It could save you having an injury like I did or even worse no matter what you are working on.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

I hope you are well on your way to recovering from your incident. Thank you for sharing as it is a good reminder to all about proper use of safety equipment. Heal quickly.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.