Single Purpose Tools

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Spooner
Gold Member

Single Purpose Tools

Post by Spooner »

Are all of SS's SPTs proprietary? Meaning... Will only a SS sanding belt fit their belt sander? Or band saw blades only fit their band saw? or sanding disks only fit their disk sanders?
garys
Platinum Member

Re: Single Purpose Tools

Post by garys »

The belts are 6"x48" so anybody's 6x48 belts fit and work. An inch is an inch.

It is the same with bandsaw blades. Any blade the correct length for the saw will fit and work.
Spooner
Gold Member

Post by Spooner »

garys wrote:The belts are 6"x48" so anybody's 6x48 belts fit and work. An inch is an inch.

It is the same with bandsaw blades. Any blade the correct length for the saw will fit and work.
I understand that. I was just wondering if they had odd lengths for their belts and blades. Like they do for their saw blades. The arbor is not the same size as other saw blades.
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

Shopsmith does have a saw blade arbor that permits a 10" saw blade with a 5/8" arbor hole to be used. DO NOT use anything other than a saw blade arbor to mount a blade. Using a universal arbor for sawing operations can be dangerous. Try the following listing.

555608 5/8" Saw Blade Arbor (for MARK 7 and MARK V Models 520,510 and 505) ... $31.99
Bill V
Last edited by wa2crk on Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

Shopsmith offers all the 5/8" arbors you could want to use the standard 5/8 hole blades. In addition, they offer their own larger arbor blades to help with blade stability. Your choice.
Spooner
Gold Member

Post by Spooner »

Awesome thanks guys.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

As already stated you can use other brands on the Shopsmith tools and SPT's. Although they are more expensive the Shopsmith Ceramic Abrasive products are very good quality products that outlast other brands. Shopsmith makes a wide selection of Sanding products not just for their tools but many sizes for other brands of tools. Their PSA Sanding Disks adhere better than other brands I have tried.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
Spooner
Gold Member

Post by Spooner »

Thanks Russ that's good to know.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

chapmanruss wrote:As already stated you can use other brands on the Shopsmith tools and SPT's. Although they are more expensive the Shopsmith Ceramic Abrasive products are very good quality products that outlast other brands. Shopsmith makes a wide selection of Sanding products not just for their tools but many sizes for other brands of tools. Their PSA Sanding Disks adhere better than other brands I have tried.
That is almost all I use now. Yes they are a bit more expensive but they last MUCH longer than other abrasives and don't clog. So in the end they don't cost more. A superior product IMO.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT