Johnsons Paste Wax Fire Starter

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

WileyCoyote
Gold Member

Johnsons Paste Wax Fire Starter

Post by WileyCoyote »

I tried to quickly melt some old wax yesterday to get it back to that nice, creamy consistency as opposed to blobs of wax. Apparently it burns very well and would make a great fire starter in an emergency.
Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Re: Johnsons Paste Wax Fire Starter

Post by Gene Howe »

Oh boy. Hope you weren't hurt.
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

From what I understand, wax plus dryer lint is a DIY fire starter recipe for those who in the camping crowd (now called "bushcraft" to sound cooler).
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

WileyCoyote wrote:I tried to quickly melt some old wax yesterday to get it back to that nice, creamy consistency as opposed to blobs of wax. Apparently it burns very well and would make a great fire starter in an emergency.
Jhonson's is a carnuba wax. Carnuba wax consists of...

Carnauba wax consists of fatty acid esters (80-85%), fatty alcohols (10-16%), acids (3-6%) and hydrocarbons (1-3%). It is around 20% esterified fatty diols, 10% methoxylated or hydroxylated cinnamic acid, and 6% hydroxylated fatty acids.

That is just the Carnuba wax used in Johnson's Paste Wax. JPW also includes the following along with the above ingredients from the Carnuba wax itself.

Known Ingredients
PETROLEUM DISTILLATES. ...
PARAFFIN. ...
SYNTHETIC WAX. ...
1,2,4-TRIMETHYLBENZENE. ...
NYFD C. ...
MINERAL SPIRITS, ODORLESS.
COPERNICIA CERIFERA (CARNAUBA) WAX.

If you look at the SCJhonson web site the wax contains the following.

Deodorized Naphtha Solubilizer
Carnauba Wax Film Former
Microcrystalline Wax Film Former
Paraffin Film Former

Those ingredients include the list above them.

It is not water based so yes it will burn if hot enough.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
WileyCoyote
Gold Member

Post by WileyCoyote »

I had a fire burning in the back of the barn and decided to try to get it back to a smooth consistency. I placed the can on a log close to the fire. Luckily I wasn't trying it in the garage with my torch, which did enter my mind. It not only caught fire, it burned for a long time.
I had to bite the bullet and get a new can, $3.99 at HD. Not bad for a year or more of protection, and I needed it anyway.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

WileyCoyote wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:36 pm I tried to quickly melt some old wax yesterday to get it back to that nice, creamy consistency as opposed to blobs of wax. Apparently it burns very well and would make a great fire starter in an emergency.
All that has been said may be true but you can return your Johnsons Paste Wax back to a smooth cream. Let it warm up slowly (in the hot summer sun or under a heat lamp. It is combustible. Just don't approach that temperature where it will combust.

However, why make it creamy. If it has not dried out to where it is clumpy, it will still do the job
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

I tend to agree with Dusty. Does it need to be creamy? I'm using a 30+ year old can of Trewax. It was fairly solid when I bought it and it is still that way. When I use some, I simply rub a rag across it to pick up enough wax to do the job, and rub it onto the surface that needs it. When rubbed on properly, there are no chunks or pieces left after rubbing it on.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Chunks work. Squeeze em!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

I'm not fanatic about it but I mostly prefer to use a pad of medium steel wool to apply JPW (except on painted surfaces). It will hold more wax and doesn't care how hard it is in the can. As I apply it I'm also cutting through the old dry wax that is still there so that the new surface is uniform and not 3 layers deep in some spots with little wear. It's a bit like working with shellac where a new coat dissolves the old coat.
I do have a cheap Wagner heat gun that I use to warm stuff when I feel the need. For many years I used a cheap hair dryer in the shops. Both have their own advantages and limitations. I am fond of heat lamps for many things but I "highly" recommend a timer control switch for safety.

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

JPW isn't available in Canada, so I have been using TreWax, I am guessing it has a harder constancy than the JPW as it tends to break into chunks if the can is dropped.
I have re melted mine a couple of times, Put the open can in a pot with an inch or so of water, and heat on the stove, low heat, till the wax melts.
I think I will add a bit of turpentine or paint thinner next time I have it melted to get a softer consistency.
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,