How to Resolve a RPS State Error 0

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Re: How to Resolve a RPS State Error 0

Post by dusty »

Are you calling at a time when Shopsmith is open? Are you calling 937.890.5197?

https://www.shopsmith.com/# --- click on ENGINEERING SUPPORT.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
lpollett
Silver Member

Post by lpollett »

Yes and Yes.

The email address they provide for tech support is catreq@shopsmith.com. My emails have always gone unanswered.

Since Customer Care doesn't answer, it's kinda hard to schedule an appointment.

But fortunately, thanks to scanning online postings, I knew what to look for and finally solved my problem. PTL for the forums.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

lpollett wrote:Yes and Yes.

The email address they provide for tech support is catreq@shopsmith.com. My emails have always gone unanswered.

Since Customer Care doesn't answer, it's kinda hard to schedule an appointment.

But fortunately, thanks to scanning online postings, I knew what to look for and finally solved my problem. PTL for the forums.
Why, then do you insist on contacting them by email.

Thankfully you have resolved this issue using other means.

Please share what you have learned. Doing so might help someone else.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

lpollett wrote: The email address they provide for tech support is catreq@shopsmith.com. My emails have always gone unanswered.
Where do you get that email address for tech support? I can't find it on the website and "catreq" sounds a lot like shorthand for "catalog request". Might be a dead or outdated link or a typo. The Shopsmith website and printed materials have a few of those.

The current Shopsmith homepage website lists a phone number to call for tech support (937-890-5197) and now has an on-line system to book tech support online at https://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/schedule_call.htm

Sadly, only under warranty items qualify for free engineering support.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

lpollett
Silver Member

Post by lpollett »

That is the email address they give while waiting on hold for customer support to answer. And I have been given that address in the past when talking to someone at SS.

I have posted a new thread that outlines the steps in resolving the problem, so someone else doesn't have to spend hours on the phone holding.

Thanks
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
BigE
Bronze Member

Post by BigE »

I had to recreate my user name- I was C2H60--have reported on RPS error 0 multiple times. Also reported on how to replace the speed sensor. I had this issue again and got no valuable feedback from Shopsmith tech support. So here is my answer to these kind of errors. FYI--I upgraded a Mark V to a Mark VII a couple of years ago. In doing that became quite familiar w the details of the hardware. What I have found is that the RPS error is mostly related to the speed sensor located behind the pulley on the motor. For this most recent occurrence I found that sawdust, especially derived from disk sanding, can build up behind the main pulley. It blocks the IR light that is used for measuring speed control. When that happens you get a RPS error. To fix this I removed the motor from the housing, removed the pulley from the motor and cleaned all the dust behind the pulley and around the speed control card. Used a air compressor to finish the job. Reassemble and everything works great. So be careful when an application like the disk sander generates fine dust particles that can accumulate behind the pulley and interfere with the speed sensor.
alxlo1
Bronze Member

Post by alxlo1 »

Take the belt guard and pan off, put the machine in drill press position, remove the 4 lower motor screws, (loosen the top 2 screws, but don't remove them). Tilt the motor out which exposes the screws holding the black plastic shroud, remove the shroud, (3 screws). Use a can of compressed air to blow out the sawdust, particularly around the speed sensors, put it all back together and it should work fine, (it did for me). Total time was about 30 minutes. Don't know why SS doesn't list this as a troubleshooting solution.
artman60
Gold Member

Post by artman60 »

alxlo1 wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:29 pm Take the belt guard and pan off, put the machine in drill press position, remove the 4 lower motor screws, (loosen the top 2 screws, but don't remove them). Tilt the motor out which exposes the screws holding the black plastic shroud, remove the shroud, (3 screws). Use a can of compressed air to blow out the sawdust, particularly around the speed sensors, put it all back together and it should work fine, (it did for me). Total time was about 30 minutes. Don't know why SS doesn't list this as a troubleshooting solution.
THANK YOU! I got the RPS State Error code, and followed your instructions. It started up and ran. I have not yet put it under load, but that will be coming soon. I went as far as removing the fan and actually ran a soft cloth over the sensors, and then used compressed air on them. I hope this fix lasts for a while. Thank you, again.
The clock of life is wound but once.
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

dusty wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:31 pm
Surely there was more.

You did receive a document that details the procedure for removal and replacement of the speed sensor. Surely you did.

I assume the reference to WIKI means WIKI.com. I searched there, though I am not very good at this sort of detective work, and did not find a Shopsmith procedure.
That info comes from this page in the Shopsmith wiki: https://www.shopsmith.com/mediawiki/index.php/RPS_0

You can peruse the entire PowerPro topic here: https://www.shopsmith.com/mediawiki/index.php/PowerPro

And all Shopsmith info here: https://www.shopsmith.com/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page

It is obvious from reports here in the forum and my own interactions with sales and service that this wiki is their main source of information, and for some it is their only source.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER