power station

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

jsburger
Platinum Member

Re: power station

Post by jsburger »

Hobbyman2 wrote:One of the articles I read showed a drum sander on the outer facing shaft , having not read the manual yet is there something else that mounts there or that can be used there ?
There is nothing there to mount anything to. It is just a shaft for things like the drum sander. Just like the belt sander opposite end shaft that you can mount a drum sander on.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
StevenAyres
Gold Member

Post by StevenAyres »

JPG wrote:I cannot imagine HOW a planer would even mount on the power station.
I happened on this today (Ebay):
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg (168.65 KiB) Viewed 63539 times
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

StevenAyres wrote:

s-l1600.jpg
That is not a power station. That is an SPT power stand that was available for all SS SPT's.

Here is a link to the SS power station. It is variable speed like the SS head stock.

https://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/faq ... tation.htm

It will only mount SPT's that have mounting tubes. The SS planer mounted on the way tubes. There is no way to mount it on a power station, only a power stand.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

John
thats what I was wondering, the paper work only shows a drum sander and no table so thought I would ask , wasnt sure if it was my eyes or if it was possible to use a belt and pulley and mount a air compressor or something else on the unit.
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

StevenAyres wrote:

s-l1600.jpg

===============

Nice find!
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

#259971 by Dansmith » Sun May 26, 2019 11:27 pm

Dansmith Gold Member (459 Posts)

If you are referring to the speed ranges for the various attachments for the Power Station, those are usually stated in the manual for the particular attachment, if I recall correctly. I currently have my bandsaw on the Power Station; but, I also have had my strip sander on it as well.

--------------

Thanks Dansmith
I picked this unit up in a out of state auction sight unseen , it will be sometime in august before I can go get it , the fella I got it from was very good about the transaction even delivered it for us , it's n storage at my sister in law's until then , this gives me a while to figure out the in's and out's and plan ahead on what spts work best . My plans are to use it mainly on the jigsaw or scroll saw , wasnt sure it could be used as a table saw but it doesn't appear to be so .
Dansmith
Gold Member

Post by Dansmith »

Hobbyman2 wrote:#259971 by Dansmith » Sun May 26, 2019 11:27 pm

Dansmith Gold Member (459 Posts)

If you are referring to the speed ranges for the various attachments for the Power Station, those are usually stated in the manual for the particular attachment, if I recall correctly. I currently have my bandsaw on the Power Station; but, I also have had my strip sander on it as well.

--------------

Thanks Dansmith
I picked this unit up in a out of state auction sight unseen , it will be sometime in august before I can go get it , the fella I got it from was very good about the transaction even delivered it for us , it's n storage at my sister in law's until then , this gives me a while to figure out the in's and out's and plan ahead on what spts work best . My plans are to use it mainly on the jigsaw or scroll saw , wasnt sure it could be used as a table saw but it doesn't appear to be so .
You are welcome. It absolutely cannot be used as a table saw. I do have a drill chuck on the end opposite the bandsaw that has a drum sander.
I just looked at my Power Station manual dated 11/92. Contrary to what I said in my earlier post, my Power Station manual does contain the speed settings for the various accessories.
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

finally got the power station home ,checked the belt and it looks good , it seems a little noise but it doesnt seem to have any major issues , may need to paint it some day it has some rust here and there ,I set the band saw up for a test drive as a stand alone, I must say this will make our life much easier not disconnecting spt's all the time , one of these days I want to get a set of casters for it . thanks for all the advice . now to make a stool to set on .
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Power Station vs Crafters Station.

It would most likely be more work than it would be worth but the Power Stations cousin the Crafters Station can be used as a table saw. The most significant differences are a reversible motor and a way to mount a table system.

FWIW: The standard motor on the Power Station is reversible.
P7270001.JPG
P7270001.JPG (157.04 KiB) Viewed 33723 times
P7270004.JPG
P7270004.JPG (159.2 KiB) Viewed 33660 times
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

Thanks Dusty, in the future if life permits I may look into another , versatility is important for a small hobbyist . does reversing the motor require removing the electrical cover on the motor ? I ask because at first glance I did not see a reversing switch.