Shop Layout and Design Considerations

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Re: Shop Layout and Design Considerations

Post by Ed in Tampa »

Careful with air compressor. Neighbor son's house burned to the ground, an air line broke and air compressor overheated running continuously trying to reach cutoff pressure. Fire company said this was a problem with compressors that are left turned on, something happens and they just run until something gives.

If you isolate it make sure you have a cut off wired to something that lets you know it is still plugged in and energized.
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

if you will be doing this in your garage you can make old away wooden saw horses ,a good piece of plywood for work tables ,glue benches etc,they can be folded up and stored when not in use ,they are not very solid but can work if kept flat ,shelves for storage is a must , maybe a cabinet or two for varnish, paint,thinners,oils ,sprays and flammables .all can be built on the SS .
If you do ecide to install outlets inn the ceiling be sure to figure on adding stress relief for the wire .
I don't have 220v in the garage, but it would be nice .JMO .
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I don't have 220VAC in the shop and I cannot imagine ever wishing I did.

I have one 110vac ceiling drop and it is dedicated to my Huskey 15 Drawer Tool Chest.

I have eight duplex 110vac outlets (on three independent 20amp circuits) distributed around the perimeter of the shop.

It's never been so nice.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

I have 220 in the shop but no 220 outlets. My Powermatic table saw is 3HP 220. It sits in the center of the shop about 1/3 of the way from one end. I had conduit put in the concrete floor when the shop was built. It comes out of the floor to a junction box (on the floor) and the Powermatic is hard wired to it. The second circuit is for the 5HP air compressor and is hard wired. The third circuit is for the Clearvue Max 5HP dust collector and it is also hard wired.

I did all the wiring myself when I had the shop building built and now I wish I had thought to put at least one 220 outlet somewhere , "just in case". As Beave2012 said, it is minimal cost doing it in the beginning.

The thing to remember is that if you have a breaker panel in your garage or shop you have 220. It just needs to be wired to an outlet.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
Carverr
Silver Member

Post by Carverr »

Ed in Tampa wrote:Careful with air compressor. Neighbor son's house burned to the ground, an air line broke and air compressor overheated running continuously trying to reach cutoff pressure. Fire company said this was a problem with compressors that are left turned on, something happens and they just run until something gives.

If you isolate it make sure you have a cut off wired to something that lets you know it is still plugged in and energized.
Todays compressors have many safety features to prevent accidents
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

Since this thread is back on top... I'm a big believer in having at least two light circuits so that if a breaker kicks I'm not standing there in total darkness (basement shop especially) holding a board in place on a running saw and in some cases maybe in an awkward setup where seeing to remove the wood is critical. You don't want to hold the wood with one hand and feel for the blade with the other. :D :D :D :D

A big rule is having almost everything in the shop but me on wheels...
Of course the biggest is "Never bleed on the work or the tools. :)

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
masonsailor2
Platinum Member

Post by masonsailor2 »

There are a lot of factors that come into play when you are designing a shop from the ground up. When it comes to the electrical you can’t have too many outlets and circuits. Place the power strategically around the shop but with the thought in mind that you will need power later on in places you haven’t thought of. External boxes with conduit gives you the maximum potential for expansion. As far as lighting go way overboard. You can always dim it or take bulbs out if it’s too bright. It’s a lot easier than adding more light fixtures down the line. Dust collection is another area where you can’t have too much. Dust is our biggest health issue. I am a big fan of pumping the air out of the shop and not recirculating it. If you can have the dust collection in a separate enclosure on the outside of the building that is the best option IMO. In my shop I have both. One pumps it out and another recirculates it. Here in Las Vegas it gets so hot that some days I can’t afford the AC loss and have to recirculate. Whenever possible I pump it out of the shop.
Paul
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

Carverr wrote:
Ed in Tampa wrote:Careful with air compressor. Neighbor son's house burned to the ground, an air line broke and air compressor overheated running continuously trying to reach cutoff pressure. Fire company said this was a problem with compressors that are left turned on, something happens and they just run until something gives.

Todays compressors have many safety features to prevent accidents
I do not know exactly what happened but I do know it was a relatively new house, less than 10 years old and a new compressor less than 5 years old. Code in area requires ground fault breakers in garage/workshops and I believe compressor was a named unit ( not a no name from China).
I was told the fire was heat build up from the compressor running with an open air line (broken).

Me personally would only have a shop where a switch or two would turn off all compressors and dust collectors and charger stations. And since I do a lot of hot glueing, soldering, and wood burning the bench plugs that supply power to these activities are also in a switch. When I flip the switches I am relatively sure any heat generator in the shop is without power.

I had a house burn down, not fun and something I never want to repeat.
Perhaps a little paranoid but I find as I get older I tend to forget to do things. This way before bed I have a habit of checking the switches. More than once I have caught a soldering iron or hot glue gun plugged in, but the switch which was super cheap in comparison prevented any problem.
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

Had many discussion through the years ago bout gfci outlets and what it takes to make them trip . in case some one doesnt know you can still be shocked possibly electrocuted and it may not trip,it only tkes 1/2 a amp to stop a beating heart , you are no more then a indirect short if you contact the wires running into the plug or a cord exiting he plug,just like a light bulb , until the amps exceed the rating on the plug it will not trip ,dont rely on them as a save all piece of eq . been proven more times then I can count . they trip when a ground short,, or direct short ,,or excessive amperage occurs .
Folding tables and roller stands can be a good investment , a good safe heater if you live in the north . One fella here uses a electric water heater and 4 old car radiators plumbed together with electric fans , it is a bit more detailed then that but it is by far the safest heating system I have seen for a garage . portable lighting can be a plus , you can move a light on a stand at times to work better then a over head light .cords are a trip hazard so plan accordingly. just my .02
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
ryanbp01
Platinum Member

Post by ryanbp01 »

Don't forget restroom facilities!
BPR