Quiet shop vac

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

moggymatt
Platinum Member

Quiet shop vac

Post by moggymatt »

Anyone have a recommendation for a super quiet small shop vac? Now that my wife and I are empty nesters I can set up a hobby room inside the house for my excalibur scroll saw but I need dust collection as well.
Paul B
Mike907
Platinum Member

Re: Quiet shop vac

Post by Mike907 »

Festool, quiet, but expensive. You can plug the Shopsmith into the Festool vac and it will start automatically when the Shopsmith is on, and turn off a few seconds after the Shopsmith is stopped. Shopsmith hoses plug right in.

Mike
moggymatt
Platinum Member

Post by moggymatt »

I dont see a festool in my future. Nice tools but no ROI for a hobbiest.
Paul B
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

The SS DC3300 is probably the quietest that I have heard. In fact a friend of mine who does not like Shopsmith at all bought a DC3300 from a local Craigs List ad because after he heard mine he wanted one. So if a DC3300 shows up reasonably close to you it may be prudent to grab it.
Bill V
claimdude
Gold Member

Post by claimdude »

Fein Turbo is quiet and less expensive than the Festool. I have both and I think the Fein might have a little more suction.

Jack
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

I thought about running a long hose through wall and putting one in a closet or something . just add a switch on a outlet on a bench .
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
sehast
Gold Member

Post by sehast »

You could also make an enclosure for the shop vac out of plywood or MDF and sound insulation material. I have seen several plans for that online. Here is just one.

http://www.startwoodworking.com/post/ho ... r-shop-vac
cham-ed
Gold Member

Post by cham-ed »

I built an enclosure for mine and I think it is the only low cost way to go.
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

If you do build a dust collector into a closet be sure to allow a path for the expelled from the system to get back into the room.
If not, when the system sucks air from the room there will be reduced air flow that could bind the system up. The return flow has to equal the CFM of the system.
Bill V
Carverr
Silver Member

Post by Carverr »

If you're looking for a small one, is usual vacume of no use? I use it for small projects