Mark VII on loan

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Mark VII on loan

Post by JPG »

ceyoung77 wrote:I'm relatively certain that I've gotten everything lubricated according to the manual, but I was wondering what is the best way to keep the variable cam lubricated?

Thanks!
The original was nylon and required NO lubrication.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

ceyoung77 wrote:I'm relatively certain that I've gotten everything lubricated according to the manual, but I was wondering what is the best way to keep the variable cam lubricated?

Thanks!
Keep the small bearing in the end of the control sheave lubricated. When that bearing fails the follower over heats and melts the cam.
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

rpd wrote:

Thanks!
Keep the small bearing in the end of the control sheave lubricated. When that bearing fails the follower over heats and melts the cam.
Good, however he has a metal cam, hence the question.

I simply do not have a definitive answer, but graphite comes to mind(any slick thing that does not like to merge with sawdust).
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
ceyoung77
Silver Member

Post by ceyoung77 »

Okay, thank you. I will try the graphite. I tried 3 in 1 but it seemed to just run off.
redleg
Gold Member

Post by redleg »

I tried to find the post where I think someone mentioned using stick lubricant on the rip fence locks. I by chance got a box of junk from a tractor repair shop that had a stick in it. I finally found it again a couple weeks ago and tried on my Mark 7 fence. I was amazed at how well it worked. It might be worth trying it on a Mark VII with an aluminum cam.

https://www.performanceonline.com/ags-d ... gJixvD_BwE

I found the stick as a result of a Google search and have not bought anything from that particular site. EDIT: The shipping is about twice the cost of the product. It is also available from Amazon prime with free delivery.
:D Mark 7 Power Pro, Mark V 510, Mark VII (early 1960s) Headstock wall mount drill press on Mark 5 way tubes, Mark 5 Shorty with reversible motor, Overhead Pin Router, Power station with band saw, Jointers, Belt Sanders, Strip Sander, Scroll saw, Jigsaw, Shopsmith Lathe Duplicator, Craftsman 2.5 hp 13" Planer/molder, Craftsman 5 hp 12-inch planer molder, myriad Shopsmith accessories, Harbor Freight sawmill with extensions to cut 22' logs.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

This brings soap or paraffin(candle wax) to mind.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝