Home made dust cyclone dust collection system

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Tenfingers
Gold Member

Home made dust cyclone dust collection system

Post by Tenfingers »

Hello, I am very new to woodworking and my Shopsmith dust collector dies a noble death. I decided to go the Harbor freight route and built a trash can dust collection cyclone for simple(ish) chip disposal for about $250. I made a video on the testing and configuration that is below:

https://youtu.be/KSSzVc63JWo

Please take a look and let me know what you all think. The cleaner shop is starting to take form and this forum has been extraordinarily helpful in determining what all these dang parts and pieces do.
Carverr
Silver Member

Re: Home made dust cyclone dust collection system

Post by Carverr »

Not bad!
masonsailor2
Platinum Member

Post by masonsailor2 »

I have found that the heavy duty Husky Contractor bags from HD work great on the HF dust collectors. A little trick that makes changing the bags very easy is to use three pieces of duct tape to hold the bag onto the collector while you put the ring on. Those bags also have ears on them that make tying them up and carrying them to the curb easier.
Paul
Tenfingers
Gold Member

Post by Tenfingers »

masonsailor2 wrote:I have found that the heavy duty Husky Contractor bags from HD work great on the HF dust collectors. A little trick that makes changing the bags very easy is to use three pieces of duct tape to hold the bag onto the collector while you put the ring on. Those bags also have ears on them that make tying them up and carrying them to the curb easier.
Paul

Thanks for the tip! I will try the duct tape next time I have to replace the bag. BTW, Thanks for using the proper spelling. Drives me nut when people type "Duck" tape.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Tenfingers wrote:
masonsailor2 wrote:I have found that the heavy duty Husky Contractor bags from HD work great on the HF dust collectors. A little trick that makes changing the bags very easy is to use three pieces of duct tape to hold the bag onto the collector while you put the ring on. Those bags also have ears on them that make tying them up and carrying them to the curb easier.
Paul

Thanks for the tip! I will try the duct tape next time I have to replace the bag. BTW, Thanks for using the proper spelling. Drives me nut when people type "Duck" tape.
Unfortunately most of the 'stuff' out there is not duct tape so duck tape is a likely accurate name.

Real duct tape is thick, strong, very sticky. Also it is NOT made from plastic.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Tenfingers
Gold Member

Post by Tenfingers »

Correct! I also think the only stuff actually made from duck is the Duck brand. I may have been misled on this.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

Tenfingers wrote:Correct! I also think the only stuff actually made from duck is the Duck brand. I may have been misled on this.
Made from Duck??? :confused: That is the reason nobody knows the real stuff. The ad guys distort everything today with spelling and other things. Since the kids today don't know how to spell or even understand a properly constructed English sentence it is no wonder they don't know the difference.

Duct tape is a metal tape that is very sticky used to seal joints in air ducts..
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

The original was "duck", as it was made from Cotton Duck which is a tightly woven canvas.
Here is the origin story.
https://www.rd.com/culture/truth-duct-t ... duck-tape/

and a quote from Wikipedia on how ducts are sealed..
Duct sealing

Air pressure combined with air duct leakage can lead to a loss of energy in a HVAC system. Sealing leaks in air ducts reduces air leakage, optimizes energy efficiency, and controls the entry of pollutants into the building. Before sealing ducts it is imperative to ensure the total external static pressure of the duct work, and if equipment will fall within the equipment manufacturer's specifications. If not, higher energy usage and reduced equipment performance may result.

Commonly available duct tape should not be used on air ducts (metal, fiberglass, or otherwise) that are intended for long-term use. The adhesive on so called duct tape dries and releases with time. A more common type of duct sealant is a water-based paste that is brushed or sometimes sprayed on the seams when the duct is built. Building codes and UL standards call for special fire-resistant tapes, often with foil backings and long lasting adhesives.
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

rpd wrote:The original was "duck", as it was made from Cotton Duck which is a tightly woven canvas.

Duct sealing

Air pressure combined with air duct leakage can lead to a loss of energy in a HVAC system. Sealing leaks in air ducts reduces air leakage, optimizes energy efficiency, and controls the entry of pollutants into the building. Before sealing ducts it is imperative to ensure the total external static pressure of the duct work, and if equipment will fall within the equipment manufacturer's specifications. If not, higher energy usage and reduced equipment performance may result.

Commonly available duct tape should not be used on air ducts (metal, fiberglass, or otherwise) that are intended for long-term use. The adhesive on so called duct tape dries and releases with time. A more common type of duct sealant is a water-based paste that is brushed or sometimes sprayed on the seams when the duct is built. Building codes and UL standards call for special fire-resistant tapes, often with foil backings and long lasting adhesives.
I am not sure what your point is with this. I think this is what I said. Duct tape is foil now days.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

jsburger wrote:
rpd wrote:The original was "duck", as it was made from Cotton Duck which is a tightly woven canvas.

Duct sealing

I am not sure what your point is with this. I think this is what I said. Duct tape is foil now days.
I wasn't disagreeing with you. :) I was actually typing when you posted, it just took me longer looking up references but I don't see where we contradict each other. :cool:
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,