Safety

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

vrodbrad
Gold Member

Re: Safety

Post by vrodbrad »

Well it has been 4 weeks since my accident. Got stitches out a week ago. Went through machine and cleaned it up. Need to replace blade guard and I will put new blades on jointer. Still painful but at least I can move what I have. I do have a YouTube channel called His and Hers Brewing here is a link if you want to see it https://youtu.be/9dZcM8DCbvA. I used to make beer but don’t drink anymore. I have a few more videos and will be about woodworking and safety.

I hope you all are having a great weekend. Take care

Brad
ricksss96
Silver Member

Post by ricksss96 »

vrodbrad wrote:Well it has been 4 weeks since my accident.... here is a link if you want to see it https://youtu.be/9dZcM8DCbvA...
Thanks for your posts on Safety, as others have already said, we all need reminders about how fast things can happen. Decided to click on your video. At first I thought this was a few pretty pictures of a nice looking Shopsmith. Was just about to click off when it got to the end - YIKES! This definitely reinforces the potential hazards into my mind, hopefully I never forget.

-Rick
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

There is SOOO much wrong with that individuals lack of understanding how to perform that operation, that I simply again do not know where to start.

Fence wrong angle(should be acute, not obtuse).

Guard's function is NOT to press the workpiece against the fence(maybe the new design causes confusion about that).

The guard should have a spring that allows it to automatically rotate towards the fence(no need to be held there). Requires tensioning the spring when placing he guard onto the infeed table.

And last keep thy body parts away from the moving sharp thingies.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
berry
Platinum Member

Post by berry »

Thinking about this post tomorrow I'll be more attentive, deliberate, and slower as I work.
Username
Bronze Member

Post by Username »

JPG wrote:There is SOOO much wrong with that individuals lack of understanding how to perform that operation, that I simply again do not know where to start.
JPG is referring to the earlier video, posted on Oct. 2. Not the video that Brad just posted on Oct. 27.

Brad, I love your positive attitude and outlook. I'm sorry about your accident but glad you are doing well after it. Thank you for linking to your YouTube channel.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Username wrote:
JPG wrote:There is SOOO much wrong with that individuals lack of understanding how to perform that operation, that I simply again do not know where to start.
JPG is referring to the earlier video, posted on Oct. 2. Not the video that Brad just posted on Oct. 27.

Brad, I love your positive attitude and outlook. I'm sorry about your accident but glad you are doing well after it. Thank you for linking to your YouTube channel.
YES
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I had not watched this Oct 2 video post before. It scares me just to watch. I can not imagine trying to hold the broken safety guard in place while using the jointer. Some one please help this gentleman find parts to repair that machine.

Yes - for the demonstrated procedure the fence is improperly tilted.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
bainin
Platinum Member

Post by bainin »

Yea- the part near the end of the video where he jams a broomstick with a fake thumb on it into the jointer is quite courageous (perhaps not the appropriate adjective-but i'm trying to be nice) .
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

ricksss96 wrote:
vrodbrad wrote:Well it has been 4 weeks since my accident.... here is a link if you want to see it https://youtu.be/9dZcM8DCbvA...
Thanks for your posts on Safety, as others have already said, we all need reminders about how fast things can happen. Decided to click on your video. At first I thought this was a few pretty pictures of a nice looking Shopsmith. Was just about to click off when it got to the end - YIKES! This definitely reinforces the potential hazards into my mind, hopefully I never forget.

-Rick
I cannot get the video with the link to work. It says not found.

Everett
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

everettdavis wrote:
ricksss96 wrote:

-Rick
I cannot get the video with the link to work. It says not found.

Everett
:)

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dZcM8DCbvA[/youtube]
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,