Pen and Game Call turning chuck????

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

mrgrigsby
Silver Member

Pen and Game Call turning chuck????

Post by mrgrigsby »

I an new to the Shopsmith Family, I have a Mark 5 and have the following question, I am looking to set up to turn pens and game calls, I have been looking at the PSI Woodworking CSC3000C Barracuda Wood Lathe Key Chuck System. However, my understanding is that it does not fit the arbor on the power head. I have also looked at the Nova G3 system on the SS site, but I am unsure as to which is the best or if the PSI will even work the SS. I mainly going to work on bowls, game calls and pens. Any advice on tool suggestions ect.. is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Michael
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Re: Pen and Game Call turning chuck????

Post by wa2crk »

If you want to use a chuck on the Shopsmith ( any model) you are going to need the PSI 5/8 inch to 1X8 TPI adaptor. Nova does make a chuck that will screw directly on the 1X8 threads but I would buy one that has to have an adaptor to fit the threads. If you switch lathes all you need is a different adaptor not a new chuck. I am particularly fond of the Oneway Talon chuck for my needs. They are more expensive but you will not be disappointed in the long run.
The Nova G3 is a very good chuck but the chuck works backwards from normal convention. When you turn the chuck key CCW the jaws tighten and when you turn the key CW the jaws open. If you buy the Nova I am sure you will really like it. I had the Oneway first and then bought the Nova. I eventually sold the Nova to a fellow club member and he loves it and I bought a second Oneway.
Remember that whichever brand you go with you most likely be stuck with it because the different jaws do not cross between manufacturers.
Take a close look at all of the chucks available and make your choice. It will be an expensive and very personal choice.
Good luck
Bill V
Mike907
Platinum Member

Post by Mike907 »

I second Bill's recommendation of the Oneway Talon chuck. However, you do not need the 5/8" to 1"-8 adapter to use it or the Nova. Both Nova and Oneway offer adapters to mount their chucks directly to the Shopsmith. If you order the Nova from Shopsmith, it will come with the proper adapter, and if you go with the Talon, it is usually sold with the adapter separate, or as a package. Get this one: https://oneway.ca/products-category/ada ... eway-Talon

Mike
mrgrigsby
Silver Member

Post by mrgrigsby »

Thank you, I only have a Shop Smith Lathe and do not plan on changing anytime soon. I will probably go with the Nova, but I had hear some recommendations about this chuck,

https://www.amazon.com/PSI-Woodworking- ... B000KIACTG

Did not know what the advantage/disadvantages where or if anyone had used this particular with a Shop Smith
mrgrigsby
Silver Member

Post by mrgrigsby »

[quote="Mike907"]I second Bill's recommendation of the Oneway Talon chuck. However, you do not need the 5/8" to 1"-8 adapter to use it or the Nova. Both Nova and Oneway offer adapters to mount their chucks directly to the Shopsmith. If you order the Nova from Shopsmith, it will come with the proper adapter, and if you go with the Talon, it is usually sold with the adapter separate, or as a package. Get this one: https://oneway.ca/products-category/ada ... eway-Talon

Is this Oneway you are talking about?
https://oneway.ca/products-category/chu ... (Complete)
Mike907
Platinum Member

Post by Mike907 »

Your link is broken, but I think you are referencing the complete Talon chuck. Yes, that's the one, and you get to specify the appropriate adapter.

If you do go with the Talon chuck, see if you can get it with the Smooth jaws (dovetail) instead of the profile jaws. I"m not a great woodturner, but I've had the opportunity to take classes from many world class turners, and they all prefer the dovetail jaws.

Mike
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

This video shows how to turn a duck call.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHdHYKJn6gI[/youtube]
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,