Found SS Mark 5 for $150 - should I buy?

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

feeliesrule
Bronze Member

Found SS Mark 5 for $150 - should I buy?

Post by feeliesrule »

From a post here, it appears to have been made in 1956 (Serial number 334895). It is not in working order. The motor did make some humming when plugged in and turned on. No funny smells came out.
-What should I look for before buying (what's a deal breaker)?
-I am not a wiz at fixing things, but could put in some time and effort to get it working. Once functional, I'd use it for a hobby, not for a job.
-How readily available are parts?

One end of the machine has a Darra-James model 640 planer.

My biggest use of the machine would be as a lathe. The other functions aren't as much of a priority.
beeg
Platinum Member

Re: Found SS Mark 5 for $150 - should I buy?

Post by beeg »

But it. The motor probably just needs to be cleaned out. Do all of the maintenance on it, then enjoy.
Buying a used Shopsmith v2.pdf
(1.96 MiB) Downloaded 1800 times
MKVMaintenance_1_10.pdf
(92.21 KiB) Downloaded 1688 times
[/b][/color]
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Since it isn't working I'd say either ask for a lower price or pass on it. If it has some problems they might well be minor but you just don't know.... I personally think $150 for a not working older machine is just too high.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

feeliesrule wrote: . . .
One end of the machine has a Darra-James model 640 planer.
. . .
??? The 640 is no surprise.

I assume it is green/silver in color.

The motor is likely salvagable.

Sure it IS a Shopsmith manufactured by Magna tool?

A pix would help.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

If the seller will allow it you could remove the belt from the motor pulley to see if the motor runs. The problem could be the bearings in the Idler Shaft, Drive Sleeve and/or the Quill. After more than 60 years they could need replacing. If any are "frozen" or close to it that could be enough to keep the motor from turning. You can always offer a lower price and take your chances. As for replacement parts they are still available. Some can be purchased new from Shopsmith and others used. The Mark V 520 is still made today and many of the parts for the 1956 Mark 5 you are looking at are the same. This is especially true for the Headstock.

Review the PDF "Buying a Used Shopsmith" linked above. This will help identify what should be included with a complete Shopsmith. Any missing items is something you will have to buy later, so the more complete it is the better buy it is for you.

As JPG said pictures help. If you buy it you will find help here in restoring it. Just ask.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

Offer to haul it away for a small fee. Then he can clean out his garage and have more room. If the motor is bad it is expensive to replace and it is a proprietary item. They do appear on E-Bay from time to time but that is also questionable quality.
Bill V
rheacox
Bronze Member

Post by rheacox »

$150 sounds a high to me. I just bought a greenie (SN dates to 1958) with almost all of the accessories (lathe parts, disk sander, tools, etc) plus the belt sander and jointer for $125 AND the machine worked pretty well. It was up for $200, I only wanted the belt sander and jointer and lathe parts but the seller came back with $125 for everything. I couldn't say no. So... now I have two Shopsmiths.

Anyway, I'd look for a working machine in good shape even if it means spending a little more money.
1958 Mark V Greenie (w/Jointer & Belt Sander), 1989 Mark V, 1941 Craftsman 103 Drill Press
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

rheacox wrote:$150 sounds a high to me. I just bought a greenie (SN dates to 1958) with almost all of the accessories (lathe parts, disk sander, tools, etc) plus the belt sander and jointer for $125 AND the machine worked pretty well. It was up for $200, I only wanted the belt sander and jointer and lathe parts but the seller came back with $125 for everything. I couldn't say no. So... now I have two Shopsmiths.

Anyway, I'd look for a working machine in good shape even if it means spending a little more money.
I'd buy it if just for parts.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.