Inherited Shopsmith unused for 25 years

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

curryitr
Bronze Member

Inherited Shopsmith unused for 25 years

Post by curryitr »

Hello!

This is my first post to the forum, and I’m hoping for some good advice. My grandfather had a 1983 ShopSmith that he used regularly until about 1995 when he passed. It was left to me and has been sitting in my parents attached garage since then. It hasn’t seen weather or temperature swings there so that’s good. Besides a lot of dust and minimal surface rust on a few knobs and tables it appears like it’s in good shape. However, tbis machine hasn’t been powered on or touched since he passed. I’d like to get it going again, and was wondering what steps I should take? It looks like the saw blade is still attached and it has the band saw. I plan on buying replacement belts and bearings from Jacobs as I figure the rubber is old and the bearing grease dried up, but is there a recommended list I should go through before the first time I power it on? I have lots of experience working on cars but not as much experience with wood working equipment. My best guess would be to clean it well, and oil everything while rotating by hand before trying.

Thanks!

Ryan
garys
Platinum Member

Re: Inherited Shopsmith unused for 25 years

Post by garys »

If it were mine, I'd remove the blade, plug it in, and turn it on. Sitting unused shouldn't damage a well made machine like a Shopsmith unless you stored it outside or under water.
If it runs when first turned on, you can likely just start using it. If it has problems, take care of fixing them.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Your last sentence
My best guess would be to clean it well, and oil everything while rotating by hand before trying.
would be a great start.

You will find a lot of help here to guide you through restoring your Shopsmith to a great running machine. Since you are looking at replacing the belts, you can easily check the bearings and lubricate the sheaves of the motor and idler shaft pulleys after removing the belts. If the bearings of the Idler Shaft, Drive Sleeve and Quill turn freely then they do not need replacing. If they "stick" at all then this is a good time to replace them. If you need documents to help check under the Maintenance and Repair section for Shopsmith Large Format Drawings, Illustrations and More by Everett Davis. This will be one of the first three topics. In it you will find a wealth of information on the Shopsmith tools. Some are directly linked there and others are on “My Google Drive” with documents too large to be directly linked. Everett has become the Shopsmith historian by saving and restoring manuals and other documents. There is a guide under Adjustments and Alignments called Help Kit Manual alignment etc. which may be useful to you. There are also a lot of other manuals and documents there that may aid you in restoring your Shopsmith. If you need any additional help just ask.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
curryitr
Bronze Member

Post by curryitr »

Thanks for those resources Russ!

I am going to go ahead and check the condition of the rubber on the belts and if the bearings are spinning free. I know it was working great up until the time he died, and he was pretty meticulous about taking care of his tools so I’m hopeful that it will work without a lot of trouble. I’m 30 years old and hope I can get another 36 years out of it assuming the parts stay available!
Last edited by curryitr on Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

I'd say clean it up, oil it, then wax it. Also align it.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

I picked up a similar one a couple of years ago. I took it home, plugged it in and tried it out. It worked just fine. Then I moved it to my Son's shop and it has been there since doing work for him.

If it is ready to use, you are wasting your time working on it instead of working with it.
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

curryitr wrote: I’m 30 years old and hope I can get another 36 years out of it assuming the parts stay available!
I hate to tell you this, but that machine will easily outlive you. :)
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

Be sure to visually inspect the belts and learn where and how to maintain the head stock , a good coat of paste wax on the tubes and some oil on the threads of the carriage locks will help , a plastic oil bottle with the extension tube is a plus when oiling the head stock . jmo
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
curryitr
Bronze Member

Post by curryitr »

I just wanted to give everyone an update. I was able to get the ShopSmith out and get all the dirt and grim off of it. Surprisingly I plugged it in and it started right up! I was able to cycle through the speeds without issue.

My wife and I are moving to Africa as missionaries, and the ShopSmith went into our crate along with spare belts, bearings, switch, among other things. I hope to use it to make some furniture for our house once we get there. I’ll be running it on a 3000 watt voltage transformer.

Thank you all for your encouragement and support!