Bandsaw upper wheel arm is very tight

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

gwjo
Bronze Member

Bandsaw upper wheel arm is very tight

Post by gwjo »

I have a 11” bandsaw. All of the bearings run freely and it seems to be in good order except that the upper wheel arm is really stiff on its pivot and doesn’t move freely making it almost impossible to tension the blade properly. I’ve used penetrating oil to try to loosen it up. Ideally would like to take the arm off completely in order to clean it up and lubricate it but it won’t budge. Any suggestions on how to free it up and get it off?
Many thanks
George
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Bandsaw upper wheel arm is very tight

Post by JPG »

gwjo wrote:I have a 11” bandsaw. All of the bearings run freely and it seems to be in good order except that the upper wheel arm is really stiff on its pivot and doesn’t move freely making it almost impossible to tension the blade properly. I’ve used penetrating oil to try to loosen it up. Ideally would like to take the arm off completely in order to clean it up and lubricate it but it won’t budge. Any suggestions on how to free it up and get it off?
Many thanks
George
Have you removed both the retaining clip AND the flat bar spring?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
gwjo
Bronze Member

Post by gwjo »

Yes. Done that.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

gwjo wrote:Yes. Done that.
We need to see pictures.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
gwjo
Bronze Member

Post by gwjo »

Here is the photo. I’m thinking about using a gear puller to see if that will work.'
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

gwjo wrote:Here is the photo. I’m thinking about using a gear puller to see if that will work.'
Posting pictures can be a bit tricky. This thread will walk you through the process. :)
https://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/comm ... 19246.html
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

Are you trying to remove the wheel from the arm? Or are you trying to remove the arm from the casting? The wheel arm is held in place by a snap ring and a washer located above the tension scale. The wheel arm pivots on a stud that is permanently pressed into the main casting. Try to remove the snap ring and washer and put some PB Blaster into the pivot point. As long as things are moving now, putting the PB Blaster in and working the wheel arm back and forth until you get enough movement to work it off. Then clean everything and put a SMALL amount of grease on the pivot pin and re-assemble. DO NOT try to remove the pivot pin from the casting.
Bill V
gwjo
Bronze Member

Post by gwjo »

Many thanks for the comments. I wasn’t able to get the arm fully off but was able to free it up sufficiently for it to work properly.
Lots of blaster spray, heat to the joint and tapping with a rubber mallet eventually worked. It has taken about a month to go from frozen solid to fully free! Happily, the tool looks good to go- all bearings are running free and I hope to be using it as soon as the new blades arrive.
Best wishes,
George