Jointer height to match power coupler - shims?

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

mauka
Gold Member

Jointer height to match power coupler - shims?

Post by mauka »

Searched but could not find answer to my question:

What is the recommended way to match jointer height to mate with power coupler? When using Jointer, the height needs to be about 1/2" higher to line up the power coupler, trying to hold it up and tighten the SPT handle is not best solution.

I used a couple to wrenches to hold it up before tightening, but is there a more permanent solution, like shims that go on the support pipes? Or a builtin adjustment that I don't know about?

Sorry if there is an obvious solution to this.

First time using Jointer on second hand Mark V without documentation, and my first time using any Jointer!
garys
Platinum Member

Re: Jointer height to match power coupler - shims?

Post by garys »

If you have the right parts, the jointer should just drop fully into place and be in the correct position with no adjustment needed. Mine does, and my Son's does.

You might have something there that has been "restored", or has an "owner induced problem" and not put back together right.

I would inspect it very carefully and compare it to the diagrams in the service manuals to see if you find anything that looks incorrect.
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

There is some variation over the years, but you most likely have aluminum eccentric tubes that are about 3-1/2 inches total length, with the eccentric shoulder about in the middle. Back out the setscrews in the Jointer and remove those eccentrics, put them in the Shopsmith with the upper portion rotated away from the headstock. They will rest on the shoulder between the two halves, and this will be the "stop" when you are finished.
Leave the SPT clamp and setscrews loose and put the Jointer on, it will be low. Line up the drive horizontally first, moving the Jointer front or back which is a rotation motion for the eccentrics. Tighten the SPT clamp but leave the setscrews loose.
Now raise the Jointer to align vertically and lock it down with the setscrews.
That's it. The eccentric shoulder is your stop for remounting the Jointer.

Some older Jointers have a steel eccentric mount. The procedure is essentially the same, but you would put the long side in the Shopsmith and the short side in the Jointer. There may be more variations, these are the two I've seen. Good Luck!
mauka
Gold Member

Post by mauka »

Thanks for the replies, without taking the Jointer out, the tubes don't look like eccentrics, just straight tubes. My bandsaw has eccentric tubes and it fits very well. Will get a closer look in the daylight.

I did notice I have a lathe tailstock insert with set screw collars on the tubes, maybe I'll swap them out.

It is time I download or order the correct manual for my serial number.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Do those straight tubes also have the retaining rings that serve as height stops>
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

mauka wrote:Searched but could not find answer to my question:

What is the recommended way to match jointer height to mate with power coupler? When using Jointer, the height needs to be about 1/2" higher to line up the power coupler, trying to hold it up and tighten the SPT handle is not best solution.

I used a couple to wrenches to hold it up before tightening, but is there a more permanent solution, like shims that go on the support pipes? Or a builtin adjustment that I don't know about?

Sorry if there is an obvious solution to this.

First time using Jointer on second hand Mark V without documentation, and my first time using any Jointer!
I have thought about creating shims but have not done so. Now that I am older and much less capable to heist the SPT from one machine or storage location or another, I wish I had.

As for horizontal alignment of the hubs, I don't see how it is possible without eccentrics. Certainly not on those machine with which I have experience.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

The old steel eccentric mounts are much less eccentric, in the range of 1/8, but functionally the same as the aluminum ones. I'm reasonably sure that mine are original equipment on a Greenie Jointer, late 50's and green in color. I don't have the original manual.

I don't think the typical collars will fit without modification. They are too wide / tall, unless the casting itself is different.

I've read elsewhere of straight mounts for the Jointer but never seen them or pictures. The high speed drive on the headstock is also eccentric, for belt adjustment. In my opinion the eccentrics are much more important on the Jointer because of that. If it were me, I'd order the eccentric mounts that support both vertical and horizontal adjustment. (And I'm the guy that kind of likes the straight tubes on the bandsaw...) Two cents worth.

-David
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

The eccentrics are not easy to adjust (horizontal) so I too would prefer the straight eccentrics BUT I don't believe that any of my SPT would align horizontally using straight tubes.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
mauka
Gold Member

Post by mauka »

Once again the ShopSmith community saves the day!

Closer inspection found set screws and the posts are indeed eccentric, but not adjusted - yet.

The ShopSmith continues to amaze me, so ‘refined’, almost as if they have been making and improving the tool for decades. 😁