Did Magna use LEAD PAINT? Restoration Hazard.

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

a_crowell
Bronze Member

Did Magna use LEAD PAINT? Restoration Hazard.

Post by a_crowell »

While wire brushing a greenie part I realized that it was made long before lead paint was regulated.

I enjoy restoring in my home garage shop, but am I creating lead paint dust? That would be very bad news.

Does anyone know what paint type was used for the early machines?
heathicus
Platinum Member

Post by heathicus »

Yeah, it's probably lead paint. But unless you are gathering up all the particles and eating them, you should be ok. And if you are doing that, then you have other problems.

I've refurbed two 10ERs, taking each one down to bare metal with a wire brush on my grinder and I'm fine. Well, other than the third eyeball growing on my cheek. But that's nothing to be concerned about.
Heath
Central Louisiana
-10ER - SN 13927, Born 1949, Acquired October 2008, Restored November, 2008
-10ER - SN 35630, Born 1950, Acquired April 2009, Restored May 2009, A34 Jigsaw
-Mark V - SN 212052, Born 1986, Acquired Sept 2009, Restored March 2010, Bandsaw
-10ER - SN 39722, Born 1950, Acquired March 2011, awaiting restoration
wlhayesmfs
Platinum Member

Post by wlhayesmfs »

Man if that was the case there are a lot of us growing that third eye ball. I have done 3 ER's so far and 2 more to do. I am also looking for an old Greenie to work on and rebuild one of them later. I do a lot of sanding and wire brushing. But don't think you have anything to worry about. If there is that much in the air you should be wearing a mask for dusty work any way.
Good luck
Bill :)
Broken Arrow OK
MKV, 510, MKVll, 50th Anniversary 520 with Jointech saw train, Bandsaw, scroll saw, joiner, 6" Sander,Stand Alone Pin Router and Router Table, Strip Sander, Jigsaw & (4) ER's plus Jigsaw for ER. DC SS RAS
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I was doing some paint removal on a century old building that definitely had lead paint. I asked the local folks what to do with the debris and was told to put it in a box, tape it up, and place it with all the other trash/garbage.

It appears there is more 'danger' to current garbage collectors than future generations! It was headed for the 'land fill'.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
a_crowell
Bronze Member

If it is lead paint, then care for your kid's health

Post by a_crowell »

Making lead paint particles airborne and breathable is fine for the respirator protected worker, but there is danger to children that breath the dust. Kids under 6 are most vulnerable.

The new Toxic Substance Control Act kicked in April 22, 2010, to the chagrin of all renovation contractors.

Read all about it @ http://www.epa.gov/lead/
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Re: Did Magna use LEAD PAINT? Restoration Hazard.

Post by wa2crk »

Saaay Whaaat?
Bill V
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

What happened to Jose???
Bill V
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

wa2crk wrote:What happened to Jose???
Bill V
He got booted for being a spammer. :)
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
P89DC
Gold Member

Post by P89DC »

I don't like to breath dust from grinding or sanding anymore. When I strip paint I use zip-strip outside. I'm not breathing the zip-strip fumes outside with a light breeze. They banned consumer use of zip-strip but I have a small stash. When I'm out of zip-strip I'll pay to have things bead blasted. Again, no more toxic dust for me, esp if it has lead in it.
1986 510, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, scroll saw, jigsaw and lots of accessories. Shopsmith woodworking bench too!
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

jsburger
Just when I was starting to have fun!!!
Bill V