Lumber Cart

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

RetiredNavyChief
Gold Member

Lumber Cart

Post by RetiredNavyChief »

Finally finished this lumber cart.
Attachments
C37E120D-AC57-4D53-BCAF-39F925E476FD.jpeg
C37E120D-AC57-4D53-BCAF-39F925E476FD.jpeg (886.8 KiB) Viewed 14902 times
PowerPro, 500 Shopsmith,Jointer, Bandsaw, Belt Sander, JointMatic, 16/32 Performax Drum Sander, Strip Sander, Shopsmith Planer with Shelix Cutterhead, Shopsmith Pin Router, King 16 inch Scroll Saw
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Re: Lumber Cart

Post by wa2crk »

Looks real handy but I don't have the square footage for one. Real nice job though.
Bill V
john
Platinum Member

Post by john »

Looks Good, and handy!

I've got a smaller one but my wood supply is all over the shop. I really need to make one similar to yours.

John
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

I have a wall-mounted lumber rack, which works great for boards. But it’s useless for sheet goods. The great thing about yours is that you can store both in the same amount of wall space — assuming that you park the cart against a wall, that is.
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

I'm still trying to figure out the "best" way to store my wood. I built a fixed rack along one wall of my shop. All my plywood and sheet material gets stacked there. At another end of the shop I have an area where I put half a dozen large trash cans. Each can is labeled for a single kind of wood and all the small pieces of hardwood of each kind go into the individual can. It helps me find a specific piece because I need to look through only a single can to find what I want.
The large hardwood boards are stored out in my garage, away from the workshop. When I need one, I have to run out there and pick one out.

I'm sure there is a better way, but I don't know what it is yet. It is a work in progress.
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

garys wrote:I'm still trying to figure out the "best" way to store my wood. I built a fixed rack along one wall of my shop. All my plywood and sheet material gets stacked there. At another end of the shop I have an area where I put half a dozen large trash cans. Each can is labeled for a single kind of wood and all the small pieces of hardwood of each kind go into the individual can. It helps me find a specific piece because I need to look through only a single can to find what I want.
The large hardwood boards are stored out in my garage, away from the workshop. When I need one, I have to run out there and pick one out.

I'm sure there is a better way, but I don't know what it is yet. It is a work in progress.

I will tell you exactly what is the best way to store your wood... Just as soon as I figure it out... :confused: :confused: :confused: :) :rolleyes:
I have wood all over the shop, some on a rack with sheet goods space on the back and 4 shelves to the front. More is stacked in the frame of an old roll-a-way bed frame. There is a batch of sheet goods leaning against the stairway to the main floor. There are stacks in corners and stacks on the floor down one wall and a batch of short stuff along another wall. Some of this stuff is in danger of me wearing it out moving it. :rolleyes: I have wood leaning against one wall of the farm shop and another batch stacked against a wall up in the loft. I have a batch in the loft of another barn (these are farm barns, not yard barns) that sits about 100' to the east of the farm shop. I have several stacks of boards in another large barn about a quarter mile down the road to the west, those are mostly saved used boards. There is an open faced machinery shed at that location with 3 stacks of lumber there.
For some reason I can''t seem to get any time in running my sawmill but I have accumulated 30 logs waiting for it this year and more to come. :eek:
My son brought me a tri-axle load of wood from a tree trimmer a couple of weeks ago to cut up and burn in our wood furnace. Wouldn't you know that the load contained 3 nice cherry logs, 2 walnut logs and a couple of ash logs. These are short logs about 5 or 6 feet long and about 14 to 16 inches in diameter. I can't have a sawmill sitting there and burn those nice logs in the furnace... :rolleyes: :o He told me a few days ago that he will have another load for me maybe this week...
I have mixed emotions about bringing in a frozen board (It gets as cold as -20 to -25 below here occasionally but not for long periods) and using it right away... On the other hand that is what our ancestors did. I have a forming vision of building an attractive "he shed" type building about 40 feet from the outside door to my basement wood shop. I was looking inside of a common box semi-trailer not long ago and seeing it in my mind filled with wood racks down both sides and all the way up the walls leaving a nice aisle down the center. The thought got pretty exciting. :D I wouldn't want to park a semi in the back yard but a nice cottage looking building might pass muster.
My first effort is going to be a large workbench looking rack for one corner of the shop with a lot of room under the top for long boards up to about 10 to 12 feet long and with a place on the back for sheet goods. I figure the "bench top" is on its own and will just fill up with short stuff. :D I have a set of large cast iron casters with stiff rubber treads to go under it so I can swing it out to access the sheets stuff with minimum effort.

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Is it okay to store lumber (boards, not sheet goods) vertically? Just looking for opinions on this. I have always stored them laying flat horizontally thinking they will warp, cup less by doing so, but is this really the case? Idea being weight of boards on top restricting movement of boards on bottom as they continue to dry. I was watching Marc on a recent Wood Whisperer video and he commented on how he stores his lumber vertically. Does anyone agree that lumber can be stored vertically with no issues? I am only talking about lumber purchased from a lumber supplier and/or big box store like Home Depot, Lowes, Menards, etc. So, the assumption is the board is reasonably dry. Just wondering if I have been too restrictive on trying to store all lumber horizontally in the past. It would be a lot easier to store it vertically. Of course, the big box stores already store it vertically, but lumber suppliers tend to keep it horizontal.

For freshly sawn lumber I would assume that horizontal storage with spacer blocks is best. Thoughts???
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

RetiredNavyChief wrote:Finally finished this lumber cart.
That is exactly like the one I built. It was from plans in one of the magazines but I don't remember which one.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
RetiredNavyChief
Gold Member

Post by RetiredNavyChief »

I found the plans on LumberJock that came from Steve Ramsey web site Woodworking for Mere Mortals. I see on LumberJocks that woodworkers have built different variations.
PowerPro, 500 Shopsmith,Jointer, Bandsaw, Belt Sander, JointMatic, 16/32 Performax Drum Sander, Strip Sander, Shopsmith Planer with Shelix Cutterhead, Shopsmith Pin Router, King 16 inch Scroll Saw
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

RetiredNavyChief wrote:I found the plans on LumberJock that came from Steve Ramsey web site Woodworking for Mere Mortals. I see on LumberJocks that woodworkers have built different variations.
After thinking about it I think the plans were in Woodsmith magazine. regardless yours and mine look identical.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT