Wixey Laser being sold by Shopsmith

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Re: Wixey Laser being sold by Shopsmith

Post by reible »

No email for me but when I went and checked it had a tracking number so if that is right I will see mine tomorrow.

Never know on this stuff, I have an order that should have been here Monday but it must have gotten on the wrong truck......... I hope they find it and get it on the right track again. It has been at 10 stops so far, must have a wrong zip code or something.

Thanks for the heads-up, now I have something to look forward to trying out.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

reible wrote:No email for me but when I went and checked it had a tracking number so if that is right I will see mine tomorrow.

Never know on this stuff, I have an order that should have been here Monday but it must have gotten on the wrong truck......... I hope they find it and get it on the right track again. It has been at 10 stops so far, must have a wrong zip code or something.

Ed
Yes, me too. I ordered mine a few days before the free shipping so I called and the young lady checked and said they could remove the shipping since it hadn't shipped. I checked at the time and the promo code on the order changed so I thought all was good. Checked my card today and they charged it at the original amount with the shipping. Not sure I want to bother now for $15.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

jsburger wrote: Yes, me too. I ordered mine a few days before the free shipping so I called and the young lady checked and said they could remove the shipping since it hadn't shipped. I checked at the time and the promo code on the order changed so I thought all was good. Checked my card today and they charged it at the original amount with the shipping. Not sure I want to bother now for $15.
I had an identical experience for a different order earlier this year. I had to contact the CS manager at Shopsmith to get it resolved. They should resolve it if you contact them, but yea they kind of run on autopilot.

P.S. They even charged me for one of those Shopsmith plastic sanding blocks, which was supposed to be a freebie they threw in with orders earlier this year. After some order shuffling CS did due to backorders, somehow Shopsmith decided to charge me for their own freebie promotional item that they tacked onto my order!!!
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
Billdit
Gold Member

Post by Billdit »

Ordered mine on Nov 30... SS texted that it shipped MONDAY, THE 16th... tracking shows it is touring Ohio on a FedEx truck... ho ho ho !
Bill

Mark V 1981 upgraded to 520 and PowerPro, w/ Band Saw, Belt Sander, Jointer, Jigsaw, and a bunch of previous owners 1980's jigs, accessories, and unknown parts.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Got mine and put it together, no instructions so flying blind. You have a couple of parts you remove from the wixey, they are metric, 10mm wrench needed(the bolts are hard to get out, designed to not come loose). The part that fits on the tubes was assembled but to tight for me to turn by hand so I had to take it apart, you might need a 1/4" hex wrench to do that.........

You will need batteries too. Have to check my supply but might be able to power it up tonight.

Ed
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Well this is disappointing. I can't get the bracket to hold well, it moves up and down by twisting and slides down the tubes. The bolt that you tighten might just be beyond what my cold finger can manage but so far it not looking good.

I'm going to see if I have a knob that will give me more torque and be more comfortable on my fingers and try again. I think the part is made of to thin of material so it not very stable left to right and this doesn't help getting it adjusted so it sits horizontal between the tubes. BTW all this moves the laser point so not something you want to have happen.

Ed
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

If I really work at it I can get it so it no longer slides up and down but it still rocks. That movement ends up being about an 1/8" at the laser point. Taking it on and off ends up with errors of more then that. It would appear that you will need to do alignments every time you move the bracket. Not hard to do but I did better with my cheap home made bracket...........

I hope others are more impressed with this or it going to be another flop. It doesn't meet my expectations, sorry to say.

Ed
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

jsburger wrote:
reible wrote:No email for me but when I went and checked it had a tracking number so if that is right I will see mine tomorrow.

Ed
Yes, me too. I ordered mine a few days before the free shipping so I called and the young lady checked and said they could remove the shipping since it hadn't shipped. I checked at the time and the promo code on the order changed so I thought all was good. Checked my card today and they charged it at the original amount with the shipping. Not sure I want to bother now for $15.
Well, kudos to SS. The pending charge on the card was with shipping. I just checked and the actual posted charge is sans shipping. :D
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
Billdit
Gold Member

Post by Billdit »

Received mine by Fedex Thursday afternoon... not good news...

Wixey part is broken, wires to one laser light are broken, adjust knobs are loose in package, no way to put it back together.

No assembly instructions or any paper work on SS part .

Called SS and they want “pictures of damage”... I thought they would send me a return shipping label. I said “do you want pictures because you think I am lying about the problems?” They said “yes, that is the reason for pictures”! I was disappointed, to say the least, in their customer service..
Bill

Mark V 1981 upgraded to 520 and PowerPro, w/ Band Saw, Belt Sander, Jointer, Jigsaw, and a bunch of previous owners 1980's jigs, accessories, and unknown parts.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Billdit wrote:Received mine by Fedex Thursday afternoon... not good news...

Wixey part is broken, wires to one laser light are broken, adjust knobs are loose in package, no way to put it back together.

No assembly instructions or any paper work on SS part .

Called SS and they want “pictures of damage”... I thought they would send me a return shipping label. I said “do you want pictures because you think I am lying about the problems?” They said “yes, that is the reason for pictures”! I was disappointed, to say the least, in their customer service..
A better response would have been to say 'no, we simply need to evaluate the damage'. Evaluate, not verify!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange