Time to discuss Attachments

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Spooner
Gold Member

Re: Time to discuss Attachments

Post by Spooner »

How do you know all this Russ? do you have a chart or something? And yes it does start with SS. So after 1987 they use a date for the SN?
P89DC
Gold Member

Post by P89DC »

That bandsaw came with rubber bushing for the blade guides. I'd replace those right away.
1986 510, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, scroll saw, jigsaw and lots of accessories. Shopsmith woodworking bench too!
tucsonguy
Gold Member

Post by tucsonguy »

Spooner wrote:. Typically when old; what parts need replaced right at the start? or do they wear pretty well? On the bandsaw the rubber tires come to mind. Do those dry up and crack and go bad? Jointer blades? Replacements? Any other thoughts you might have before I begin looking into those?
1) Any SPT you should not assume it is in good operating shape. Critical element - bearings. Check all bearings. Clean and spin them, if they don't spin freely or make a ticking sound, replace them.
2) Read the manual for each SPT. They will give information on expected life of items like blades, tires etc. Blades can only be sharpened until they reach a specified dimension, then must be replaced.
As these machines get older, people are starting to rebuild them from older machines. Keep in mind that the jointer in particular is cast and machined as a unit - the two halves are mated at the factory. A used jointer rebuilt from parts could contain two dissimilar infeed and outfeed tables, which will not fit together correctly. (This has happened!) So you should check squareness and accuracy of any tool before buying.
Also look at bushings. These tend to wear over time, often becoming ovalled. They should be replaced if there is sufficient wear. The scroll saw arm has multiple bushings that should be checked.
Shafts holding bearings and or riding in bushings may wear as well and should be checked similarly.
Lastly, any gears should be checked for wear on the teeth.
Geoff Baker
1951 10ER w variable speed electronic motor with reverse
1999 520 w PowerPro
Belt sander - strip sander - bandsaw - scrollsaw - jointer - overarm router - undertable router mounted on main SS saw table - speed increaser - speed reducer - forced air HEPA filter for headstock - 19" SS powered aluminum drum sander - index wheel system - lathe table crossslide vise system
Spooner
Gold Member

Post by Spooner »

Thanks TucsonGuy. I planned on going completely through the Bandsaw, Jointer and Jigsaw and checking everything. Bearings, bushings and so on. I plan to clean and re-lub everything and replace what needs to be. Then paint.
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

It should go without saying, but I've just watched a U-Tube video that confirms it doesn't, that we should also very carefully evaluate and understand the safety features of all equipment we acquire. Make all needed repairs prior to placing the equipment in service and at least consider upgrading to more current safety standards. Older equipment, in particular, was built to different safety standards and may not include the manuals when bought used.

-David
Spooner
Gold Member

Post by Spooner »

Here's a couple new ones for you Russ. Is the 2989 SN February Ninth 1989?
Attachments
Belt Sander SS2989.jpg
Belt Sander SS2989.jpg (159.13 KiB) Viewed 23988 times
Spooner
Gold Member

Post by Spooner »

I can't get the second Image to post.
Spooner
Gold Member

Post by Spooner »

well for whatever reason the second SN Plate will not post. The number is SS49800. I would assume this one is newer than the one I posted last week. Since the number is higher. Is that correct?
Spooner
Gold Member

Post by Spooner »

rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

Spooner wrote:well for whatever reason the second SN Plate will not post. The number is SS49800. I would assume this one is newer than the one I posted last week. Since the number is higher. Is that correct?
Exceeded size requirements. :)
Spooner wrote:Maybe this will work.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/-qgAAOSw ... -l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg (682.3 KiB) Viewed 24017 times
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,