What Are These For?

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Meng88
Gold Member

What Are These For?

Post by Meng88 »

I've mentioned it in previous posts, but I inherited my shopsmith with tons of attachments from my late grandfather. These two have been sitting bugging me for the past 6 months since I got everything because I can't figure out what they are for. Any help from the forum world? If it helps, the smaller one fits perfectly into the larger one.
Attachments
IMG_6399.jpg
IMG_6399.jpg (1.08 MiB) Viewed 16524 times
algale
Platinum Member

Re: What Are These For?

Post by algale »

The item on the left is an adjustable stop collar. Goes on the leg of the main table and allows micro adjustment. Seen here: https://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cat ... collar.htm

The item on the right appears to be the a lathe drive center. You put a screw through the back and into the work piece. Item "D" here: https://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cat ... enters.htm
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

IIRC, the drive center needs a #14 wood screw.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

JPG is correct and the screw is an 1-1/4" long.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
Spooner
Gold Member

Post by Spooner »

That's pretty freaking cool... I'm adding that to my wish list.
Meng88
Gold Member

Post by Meng88 »

You guys have been awesome at helping me figure out what all of these parts are. Time for the next edition. Can you help with these items I have found in my collection that I inherited?
Attachments
F7ABFE24-7D38-41BB-8093-EC9EC34B501C.jpeg
F7ABFE24-7D38-41BB-8093-EC9EC34B501C.jpeg (102.54 KiB) Viewed 13081 times
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

Meng88 wrote:You guys have been awesome at helping me figure out what all of these parts are. Time for the next edition. Can you help with these items I have found in my collection that I inherited?
The one on the right is the clamp that attaches the universal tool rest the the carriage.

https://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cat ... olrest.htm

Not sure what the other one is.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
Meng88
Gold Member

Post by Meng88 »

Thanks! I would have never figured that out! Now if I had the complete rest. Unfortunately mine is missing a part. Anyone know if shopsmith sells parts to this tool rest? Or just the complete thing? Can’t find anything on their website.

I’m missing the part the the tool rest fits into. The little rectangle that attaches to the arm.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Meng88 wrote:Thanks! I would have never figured that out! Now if I had the complete rest. Unfortunately mine is missing a part. Anyone know if shopsmith sells parts to this tool rest? Or just the complete thing? Can’t find anything on their website.

I’m missing the part the the tool rest fits into. The little rectangle that attaches to the arm.
You should be able to purchase individual parts for the UTR. I ordered my UTR new last year, and unfortunately half of it got lost in shipping with Fedex. Shopsmith sent me the replacement parts so that I could finally get a whole UTR. Also, once I finally got all the parts, it didn't work at first. The Top Support and the Support Base need to be machined together, i.e. a matched set so that the bore holes line up. Unfortunately, Shopsmith sent me mismatched pieces for this, so the 1" bore hole was not aligned causing the Tool Support & Shaft Assembly to bind up and be unable to turn freely when the Top Support was fastened. In the end Shopsmith sent me a new Support Base that worked. So, it seems like they have spare parts to assemble a UTR, so I don't see why they wouldn't sell the replacements to you. I assume you have the exploded parts diagram for the UTR? If not, check out this thread where I posted it:

https://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/view ... he#p265642
Last edited by RFGuy on Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
Meng88
Gold Member

Post by Meng88 »

I did not have the diagram. Thanks. Now I’ll go check and make sure I have all of the other parts.