My take on an under-Shopsmith storage cabinet

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Re: My take on an under-Shopsmith storage cabinet

Post by JPG »

Hmmmm.

Dominoes in the ends of the sides and back face of the front?

Glue better be real good!!!!!

Oh well, the sideways bursting strength will be adequate. ;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
claimdude
Gold Member

Post by claimdude »

Dominos in the ends of the sides fitted into domino holes in face ends of front and back. Much like using dowels but quicker, more accurate, and stronger. I have two drawers much larger than these that have 70 or so pounds of stuff in them and they have held up just fine for over a year, no flexing, no loosing, etc.

I actually have the drawer lock bit and have used it on plywood before but wasn't enamored with the fit, finish, or strength. Now in solid wood sides the drawer lock bit is a good fit in my humble opinion.

Jack
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

More to the point, pulling on the drawer front is pulling in line with the dominoes. i.e. pulling the front off the sides in line with the dominoes.

Reverse that(front ends against inside face of drawer sides) would resist front pulling off more effectively(more than glue resisting separation).

JMHO. ;)

Nice job BTW. :)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
claimdude
Gold Member

Post by claimdude »

Agree. The dominos and screws are strong enough. The bottom is half inch ply and also glued into the dado all the way around. Much easier to get the drawer width correct for me to do it this way,

Jack
firefighter0001
Bronze Member

Post by firefighter0001 »

onetrack wrote:I should be able to scrape-up the basic plans. Drawers are from Lee valley.
Canada http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.a ... 3330,46037
USA http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.a ... 3330,46037

I would like the plans for this cabinet, please.
hdoilcan
Gold Member

Post by hdoilcan »

Thanks for sharing. Just what I can use at this time.

onetrack wrote:I should be able to scrape-up the basic plans. Drawers are from Lee valley.
Canada http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.a ... 3330,46037
USA http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.a ... 3330,46037
waynecottle
Bronze Member

Post by waynecottle »

Do you have plane available for your cabinet
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

Here's one.
Attachments
Under SS storage.pdf
(635.03 KiB) Downloaded 1899 times
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob