Time to discuss Attachments

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Re: Time to discuss Attachments

Post by chapmanruss »

Spooner asked
How do you know all this Russ? do you have a chart or something? And yes it does start with SS. So after 1987 they use a date for the SN?
I have been gathering information for many years now that has come from many sources. Besides having copies of the Serial Number by month of manufacture charts that were posted on the Shopsmith website. I did make a chart estimating the production dates for the missing years, 1962 to 1977, for the Mark 5 and filled in the missing months on the original Mark 5/V chart. It is a combination of all the information I have gathered to date that I can answer these questions although once in a while I am wrong. Some answers are a best guess based on what I do know. I went a long time believing that the first 250 Shopsmith Tools, the Model 10E, were originally shipped to the West Coast Montgomery Stores on October 15, 1947 as was listed in several SS histories floating around the web. Everett found in original Magna documents that the actual date was November 15, 1947. Even Shopsmith's own history page has errors in it including this one from the first paragraph.
Mark V (Model 500) Magna America put this American classic 5-in-1 tool into production in 1953. Since its introduction the Mark V has gone through a series of important upgrades to improve its performance, working convenience and safety.
It was Magna Engineering Corporation that put the Shopsmith Mark 5 into production and it went on sale in March of 1954. Magna American, not America, did not become the company making the Shopsmith/Magna tools until the 1960's after Yuba. Also it was the Mark 5 not Mark V (Model 500) which was what the only Mark V being made became with the introduction the 510 & 505. The tools themselves were Mark 5 until changed in early 1980 to Mark V although Mark V had been used in documents and advertising prior to that.

It is listed by Shopsmith Inc. that date codes began in December 1987. I do not believe all tools changed to date codes in December 1987. The highest Jointer Serial Number I have seen is SS106695 which is 3233 numbers past the beginning serial number for November 1987 but in the few months preceding that less than 300 Jointers were made each month. Otherwise that's a lot of jointers for Christmas.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
Spooner
Gold Member

Post by Spooner »

Russ,

I am looking at possibly purchasing two SPT's.

Bandsaw - 20701

Jointer - 16085

Could you please tell me the year they were made?
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

As with the Mark 5/V serial numbers are repeated for the Band Saw and Jointer. Again these can be with the SS prefix for Serial Numbers that restarted with the formation of Shopsmith Inc. in 1972 or without the SS prefix for earlier SPT's. For awhile Jointers had an "M0" prefix from 1958 to 1961. I do not know why but most of that was during the time Yuba Power Products made the Jointer with the first "M0" serial numbers a Magna Power Tool Corporation label still and the last ones Magna American Corporation. Enough said for that. The Name Plate with the serial number or sticker also includes the company that made it. This is a clue to how old it is.

Magna Engineering Corporation 1947 - 1955
Magna Power Tool Corporation 1955 - 1959
Yuba Power Products Inc. 1959 - 1961
Magna American Corporation 1961 - 1969
Shopsmith Inc. 1973 - 2009
RLF Brands (RLF Shop for a short time) 2010 - present

The Serial Numbers from the 1950's for the Shopsmith Mark 5 and the SPT's or Magna Add-a-Tool as they were called originally started at different random points when looking at them. None of the charts show a beginning production serial number for any of these tools in the 1950's.

Bandsaw - Serial Number 20701 with a SS prefix and Shopsmith Inc. as the company name would have been made April 1980 and painted gray. Serial Numbers for 1950's Band Saws do not go that low on the chart. The Band Saw was introduced in the Summer of 1955 (Shopsmith Shavings No. 10) but the lowest serial number on the chart is 31621 from November 1957. If it has Magna Power Tool Corporation as the company it was made between mid 1955 and 1957. If the Serial Number is 020701 that would be a Date Code and still be made by Shopsmith Inc..

Jointer - Serial Number 16085 Painted Green with Magna Engineering Corporation as the company name would have been made in May 1954. If it has the SS prefix in the serial number and Shopsmith Inc. as the company it would have been made in April 1980
Russ

Mark V 520
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
Spooner
Gold Member

Post by Spooner »

Thanks a ton Russ. Man as old as these are they are in really good shape. But I think I want to hold out for a new version. 80's and up.... Russ can you tell me what the serial number for the Bandsaw, Jointer, Jig Saw and Strip Sander are starting in 1980 and then the starting numbers for 1990 and so on? Then I can better guesstimate what decade I'm in.

Again. Thanks for all your help.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

The Band Saw you are looking at S/N 20701 looks to be in good shape and is from April 1980. Not a bad price and the shipping to me is reasonable. I did not see the Jointer. Remember any of these tools are upgradeable to newer features. The basic tools haven't changed much over the years. The Jointer is easy to upgrade to add the Feather Board Blade Guard, Dust Chute and other safety features. I did that on my 1979 Jointer. The only Model Jointer that cannot have the Dust Chute is the 4E made for the Shopsmith Model 10 but can have the other upgrades.

As for the serial numbers by decade all tools have a date code from December 1987 on. The January 1980 starting serial numbers are as follows

Jointer - SS12012
Jig Saw - SS8234
Belt Sander - SS7748
Band Saw - SS16576

Other SPT's, Planers, Strip Sander and Scroll Saw came out after 1980. The Mark Mounted Planer came out in late 1982 with the first S/N listed in November as 00235. The Pro Planer came out in 1985 with the first S/N listed in February as 00056. The Planers did not have the SS prefix on their serial numbers. The Strip Sander and Scroll Saw only have date codes.
Russ

Mark V 520
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Spooner wrote:Thanks a ton Russ. Man as old as these are they are in really good shape. But I think I want to hold out for a new version. 80's and up.... Russ can you tell me what the serial number for the Bandsaw, Jointer, Jig Saw and Strip Sander are starting in 1980 and then the starting numbers for 1990 and so on? Then I can better guesstimate what decade I'm in.

Again. Thanks for all your help.
I can not think of a good reason for thinking that. The minor design changes made were all upgradable.

SS SPT's are somewhat unique in that the original designs have remained to this day.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Spooner
Gold Member

Post by Spooner »

JPG wrote: I can not think of a good reason for thinking that. The minor design changes made were all upgradable.

SS SPT's are somewhat unique in that the original designs have remained to this day.
Fair statement JPG... I guess what I meant to say was a newer SPT for that fact that I would have a longer time of use before having to do any work on them. I guessing all my old SPT's are going to need bearings, blades and who knows what else. This way if I can pick up something newer or unused it will have some life in it. If that makes sense.
Spooner
Gold Member

Post by Spooner »

Russ...

I just purchased two SPT's. Still in their boxes. Never been used. Could you please look at your charts and give me some dates? :D

First one. Belt Sander - Serial #: SS23092 - So according to what you have taught me if there is an SS in the number is was manufactured by Shopsmith. Correct?

Second one. Jointer - Serial #: SS33910 - I"m going to guess both of these are prior to 1987 because they are not date coded. Correct?
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Yes, both were made by Shopsmith Inc. and are serial numbers. The Belt Sander in January 1982 and the Jointer in July 1981.
Russ

Mark V 520
Spooner
Gold Member

Post by Spooner »

Awesome Russ!!! Thank you very much.