finding origanal equipment list for 50s shop smith

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

crickett
Bronze Member

finding origanal equipment list for 50s shop smith

Post by crickett »

trying to find out what came originally with a 50s shop smith i belive i have a solid machine just missing a few pieces thanks in advance
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: finding origanal equipment list for 50s shop smith

Post by JPG »

List may not be totally accurate.

Saw blade with arbor
Jacobs drill chuck
Lathe spur drive
Tailstock dead center
5/32 tool kit
Tail stock
Miter gauge(no clamp or extension)"
Rip fence
Aux table
Main table
headstock and base(no casters)
set of 5 lathe tools
disk sander
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Re: finding origanal equipment list for 50s shop smith

Post by chapmanruss »

Welcome to the Forum cricket,

JPG's list looks pretty complete. Knowing what year and even month, your Shopsmith Mark 5 was made will help in identifying what came with it. The serial number can tell us that. There were a lot of changes made to the Mark 5, especially in the headstock, in the early years.

Below is a copy of a 1955 packing list. It fairly represents the Mark 5 from those early years.
Mark 5 Packing List from 55 machine cr.jpg
Mark 5 Packing List from 55 machine cr.jpg (119.83 KiB) Viewed 5320 times
As stated on the list these parts are included in the "Pack-In Box" that came in the shipping crate. The Shopsmith was shipped partially assembled except the legs were not attached which is the reason for the 10 Machine Screws, Lock Washers and Square Nuts. Also note that these early Mark 5's used a 9" saw blade not 10". The Blade Guard was an optional item along with the Retractable Casters and Lathe Chisels. Out of the box it was able to provide it's 5 functions of Table Saw, Drill Press, Horizontal Boring Machine, Disk Sander and Lathe although it didn't include the chisels.

Check under the Maintenance and Repair section for Shopsmith Large Format Drawings, Illustrations and More by Everett Davis. This will be one of the first three topics. In it you will find a wealth of information on the Shopsmith tools. Some are directly linked there and others are on “My Google Drive” with documents too large to be directly linked. Everett has become the Shopsmith historian by saving and restoring manuals and other documents. On his google drive are the first three restored manuals for the early Mark 5's with more to come as he has time.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.