Shopsmith 330L dust collector

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

mgbbob
Gold Member

Shopsmith 330L dust collector

Post by mgbbob »

Hi folks, Looking at purchasing one of these. 1 review said cheap junk made in China. I am not buying China crap if I can help it. Anyone got one? Short review. Shopsmith email said all tools MADE IN USA. HELP.
rcsaylor
Silver Member

Re: Shopsmith 330L dust collector

Post by rcsaylor »

So I would check to see if it is made in the USA I actually believe that it is a Rikon 60-100 1 HP Dust Collector just slightly modified & painted. I actually bought the Rikon 60-100 1 HP Dust Collector and installed after market pleated filter. It works well, but is made in China & kind of cheaply made.
mgbbob
Gold Member

Post by mgbbob »

Okay, any users out there. Is this a good dust collector? Problems or comments?
br549
Platinum Member

Re: Shopsmith DC330L dust collector

Post by br549 »

I did a search using DC330L Dust Collector and only found one other review by a forum member, redleg, who actually has both Shopsmith versions.
https://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/comm ... 0-s60.html
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

This is just a guess, but I doubt there are too many owners of the DC-330L out there. It is only a 1HP DC and costs twice as much as the 2HP DC from Harbor Freight. With the 20% or 25% off coupons at Harbor Freight, these are well under $200 versus the $379 for the Shopsmith DC-330L. If you really want the Shopsmith or Rikon version of it, you can check out the reviews at the Woodcraft link below which has 15 reviews for it. I don't have one myself, but if you read other woodworking forums (outside of Shopsmith) you will find a lot of happy customers of the Harbor Freight DC. Many have modified it with larger impellers, added HEPA (Wynn) filters, added cyclones, etc. Personally I wouldn't recommend any of these dust collectors with filter hoods. The Rikon version is a 5μm filter which lets A LOT of dangerous dust particles back into the shop for you to breathe. Presumably the Shopsmith one is similar filter rating. I'd recommend looking for one with a HEPA filter with 0.3μm filter rating (unless you plan on venting outside).

Harbor Freight DC:
https://www.harborfreight.com/2-hp-indu ... 97869.html

Rikon 60-100:
https://www.woodcraft.com/products/riko ... gK__vD_BwE
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
mgbbob
Gold Member

Post by mgbbob »

I was hoping to buy a USA built unit but it appears this is a assembled from other parts unit. I am a bit disappointed. I am not sure why I would look any further than HF.....I have other products and have always be satisfied but would like a USA item.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

mgbbob wrote:I was hoping to buy a USA built unit but it appears this is a assembled from other parts unit. I am a bit disappointed. I am not sure why I would look any further than HF.....I have other products and have always be satisfied but would like a USA item.
Yeah, I hear you, but unfortunately I do believe this item is manufactured in China since it looks like an almost identical copy of the Rikon version and Rikon is manufactured in China. I also prefer to buy American, but sadly little in woodworking is American made anymore. Most tools are made in Asia even if they are designed in USA. When I started on my Shopsmith 2 decades ago it was all hand built in Ohio. Not sure that all of the parts and accessories are that way today for them. Woodpeckers is made in USA and Jessem is Canadian. A lot of high quality woodworking tools are made in Canada nowadays. Sawstop was American made, but the parent company of Festool (German) purchased them. Just not a lot of American engineered and American made woodworking tools these days...
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

RFGuy wrote:
mgbbob wrote:I was hoping to buy a USA built unit but it appears this is a assembled from other parts unit. I am a bit disappointed. I am not sure why I would look any further than HF.....I have other products and have always be satisfied but would like a USA item.
Yeah, I hear you, but unfortunately I do believe this item is manufactured in China since it looks like an almost identical copy of the Rikon version and Rikon is manufactured in China. I also prefer to buy American, but sadly little in woodworking is American made anymore. Most tools are made in Asia even if they are designed in USA. When I started on my Shopsmith 2 decades ago it was all hand built in Ohio. Not sure that all of the parts and accessories are that way today for them. Woodpeckers is made in USA and Jessem is Canadian. A lot of high quality woodworking tools are made in Canada nowadays. Sawstop was American made, but the parent company of Festool (German) purchased them. Just not a lot of American engineered and American made woodworking tools these days...
We used to call it Japanese junk in the 50's when I was growing up. There was tons of really cheap stuff coming from Japan. Today I own a Toyota Sienna van. Never would have thought that would happen.

Lots of good stuff coming from China and lots of cheap stuff. People want cheap (less expensive) for the most part so guess what gets bought ? The manufactures (American companys) are listening to the consumers. It is not only China. Look at the cloths you buy. They are all over the world.

Me personally, I will pay more for American quality because I can afford it. Many people can't and don't have that choice.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
mgbbob
Gold Member

Post by mgbbob »

I understand. WE spent 11 days in Utah last fall. Beautiful state. Enjoy and be safe.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

mgbbob wrote:I understand. WE spent 11 days in Utah last fall. Beautiful state. Enjoy and be safe.
Where did you go? More National Parks in Utah than any other state. We call it the big 5 but now it should be the big 6 since President Trump changed the status of the site of the Golden Spike to a National Historic Park. Not quite a National Park but it gets much more money to upgrade now. It is really out in the middle of nowhere.

I was there last year on 10 May, the day of the golden spike in 1869. The crowd was unbelievable. We also rode the UP double header with 844 and 4014 (the Big Boy) from Ogden, UT to Evanston, WY.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT