Price of a used Shopsmith

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

jsburger
Platinum Member

Price of a used Shopsmith

Post by jsburger »

A lot of people ask about the price of a used SS. Most of the consensus is that it depends on where you are. Probably mostly true.

Here is an example in Northern Utah. Right now there are 3 MK V 510's and one 520 for sale on the KSL TV classified web site. They all look very clean and in very good condition.

The first 510 is a 1995 date and the lister says it has never been used. It looks like that and comes with a band saw. $1250.00

The second 510 also has a band saw. Unknown vintage but it is a C head stock. $800.00

The third 510 is a 50th anniversary model with a band saw. $1800.00

The 520 is a 1992 date with no SPT's. He does have all the STP's for sale separately. $1400.00

That is a wide range of prices. However, one never knows what they actually sold for.

I bought locally a complete, never used as far as I can tell, stand alone over arm pin router with castors for about 1/3 of the original listing price. I paid $250.00
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Re: Price of a used Shopsmith

Post by Ed in Tampa »

jsburger wrote:A lot of people ask about the price of a used SS. Most of the consensus is that it depends on where you are. Probably mostly true.

Here is an example in Northern Utah. Right now there are 3 MK V 510's and one 520 for sale on the KSL TV classified web site. They all look very clean and in very good condition.

The first 510 is a 1995 date and the lister says it has never been used. It looks like that and comes with a band saw. $1250.00

The second 510 also has a band saw. Unknown vintage but it is a C head stock. $800.00

The third 510 is a 50th anniversary model with a band saw. $1800.00

The 520 is a 1992 date with no SPT's. He does have all the STP's for sale separately. $1400.00

That is a wide range of prices. However, one never knows what they actually sold for.

I bought locally a complete, never used as far as I can tell, stand alone over arm pin router with castors for about 1/3 of the original listing price. I paid $250.00

The fact that there are so many never used Shopsmith’s speaks to the ability of SS salesmen to sale their product. It also tells us there is a lot of people out there that would love to work with their hands and create stuff but one thing or another gets in the way. To all the unused Shopsmith’s squirreled away in the corner of a garage or sitting in some dark basement. Have hope some day you will be sold, put together, properly adjusted and used as you were meant to be. :D
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

John,

I see the same thing happening here. This is a little different but there is an ad on craigslist for a Mark V system. See the link.

https://portland.craigslist.org/clk/tls ... 46618.html

Don't be fooled by the listing being posted a day ago. This ad has been up off and mostly on for at least two years now. Since the only picture it has is a stock SS picture I wonder about it. I had contacted the seller some time ago about selling individual items but he blew me off and said to never contact him again.

Ed,

Your statement is so true about never used Shopsmith's sitting around waiting. A few year ago I was in contact with a gentleman in Seattle that had bought a never used Model 10ER still in the original shipping crate. Around 65 years is a long time waiting to be assembled and used. The same is true and more common for accessories. I have, as one example, a Mortising attachment with Hold Down from before November 1951 (and the part number changes) that has never been used that still had the protective "goop" still on the bare metal parts.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Ed, I saw another example last week of a 1984 Mark V for sale still in the box. It has a Band Saw, Jointer and Belt Sander with it also still in the boxes and extra accessories. It belonged to the sellers dad who purchased it and never even opened the boxes. The asking price for all of it was in the middle of the prices John found near him. In 1984 there was still only the original Mark V aka 500.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.