Indicator Ring does not move

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

MilRet
Bronze Member

Indicator Ring does not move

Post by MilRet »

I have a mark V (2000). The issue I have: the speed dial works for increasing/ decreasing the speed but the indicator ring does not move.

I called Shopsmith today to ask what part I need as I wanted the 20% off sale but was told to email catreq@shopsmith.com instead.

I have not heard back so I was hoping someone from this forum could help.

What causes the indicator ring (slow...bandsaw...etc) to not turn?

Thank you

Greg
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Re: Indicator Ring does not move

Post by chapmanruss »

The Speed Control Dial (indicator ring) has teeth (see upper arrow in the picture below) under the Speed Control Handle which is turned by the gear mounted on the front of the Control Bracket (see lower arrow in the picture below). That gear is turned by the teeth on the inside center of the Speed Control Handle where it attaches to the worm gear shaft. If the teeth on the inside of the Speed Control Handle are broken off it cannot turn the gear to turn the Speed Control Dial or if the Speed Control Handle is not on the worm gear shaft all the way it may not be engaging the gear to turn the Speed Control Dial. It will still change the speed by turning the worm gear shaft it is attached to. There is a cut out in the Speed Control Handle for a 3/32" Allen Wrench (if I remember the size correctly) to loosen the set screw that holds the Speed Control Handle on the worm gear shaft. Remove the Speed Control Handle to see which problem it may have.
Speed Dial w- arrows.jpg
Speed Dial w- arrows.jpg (74.48 KiB) Viewed 5085 times
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
MilRet
Bronze Member

Post by MilRet »

chapmanruss wrote:The Speed Control Dial (indicator ring) has teeth (see upper arrow in the picture below) under the Speed Control Handle which is turned by the gear mounted on the front of the Control Bracket (see lower arrow in the picture below). That gear is turned by the teeth on the inside center of the Speed Control Handle where it attaches to the worm gear shaft. If the teeth on the inside of the Speed Control Handle are broken off it cannot turn the gear to turn the Speed Control Dial or if the Speed Control Handle is not on the worm gear shaft all the way it may not be engaging the gear to turn the Speed Control Dial. It will still change the speed by turning the worm gear shaft it is attached to. There is a cut out in the Speed Control Handle for a 3/32" Allen Wrench (if I remember the size correctly) to loosen the set screw that holds the Speed Control Handle on the worm gear shaft. Remove the Speed Control Handle to see which problem it may have.

Speed Dial w- arrows.jpg
Thank you so much. I will go look. I am excited!
MilRet
Bronze Member

Post by MilRet »

I finally removed the control dial after finding correct tool!

Found the small sprocket off the larger one.

The nut holding it was loose. I held the slotted screw while tightening the nut.

Is the nut supposed to be loose?
Attachments
3E0C2340-1774-4399-B993-FE18C641ABA8.jpeg
3E0C2340-1774-4399-B993-FE18C641ABA8.jpeg (403 KiB) Viewed 5063 times
MilRet
Bronze Member

Post by MilRet »

Thank you very much for the fast response and help.

I am once again a Happy camper!
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

The nut should be tight. It does two things. The set screw is a stop for the toothed Quadrant Assembly aka "porkchop" on the back and holds the gear in place on its bushing when the nut locks the set screw. The set screw limits the Quadrant Assembly's travel. I know I have instructions for adjusting the set screw but I cannot find the digital copy right now. Sorry
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.