Alternative to the Nova chuck?

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

donpol
Gold Member

Alternative to the Nova chuck?

Post by donpol »

I’ve been thinking of getting a 3 or 4 jaw lathe chuck and I see that Shopsmith sells the Nova brand. Has anyone used any other brand of chucks?
Mike907
Platinum Member

Re: Alternative to the Nova chuck?

Post by Mike907 »

I have several Oneway Talon chucks, which I really like. Shopsmith used to sell the Talon until they partnered with Nova on the PowerPro. If you have larger projects in mind, Oneway makes the Stronghold chuck. Both have Shopsmith adapters available.

Mike
BobCoates1953
Gold Member

Post by BobCoates1953 »

Been cheap, I selected the Oneway tommy bar version. When I upgraded to a bigger lathe, all I needed was a new adapter to use the chuck. I now have 3 of the tommy bar version. Size wise it is the same as the talon. IMO the tommy bar is much faster to go from small to large diameter than using a key. It compares to turning the collar on a drill chuck to using the key to go from small to large. I am sure you will get lots of disagreement on this. Ha ha.
roy_okc
Platinum Member

Post by roy_okc »

I bought a Penn State Ind Barracuda chuck and a Shopsmith to 1x8 TPI adapter when I first started using the SS as a lathe. The chuck was good and I still use it on my Jet lathe. However, the adapter had a lot of play in the thread area which induced problems especially when turning bowls, hollow vessels, and other things that were not supported by the tail stock.
Roy

Mark V/510, Mark V/500 with parts for 510 upgrade, bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, DC3300 w/1 micron bag
Sawstop 3HP 36" PCS w/router table insert
Home designed and built CNC router, another CNC router :D desktop size
CNCed G0704 milling machine
Laser engraver
Way too much other stuff and not enough space :rolleyes:
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

I have a Oneway chuck that I bought from Shopsmith years ago and I like it. When I decided to buy a second chuck I bought a Nova. The nova is a good chuck and has very good quality. The one thing that bothered me about the Nova is that the key works backwards. It has a left hand thread and the Oneway has right hand threads. Also the jaws are not cross compatible so different jaws are required for each. If you buy the Nova first you will probably be happy, as I said it is a good chuck. I sold my Nova to a fellow club member and bought another Oneway. My friend is very happy with the Nova.
Once you decide on a brand you will probably have to stay with that brand. The choice will be a personal decision.
Bill V