Shopsmith 520 ext tables

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

shoedo
Gold Member

Shopsmith 520 ext tables

Post by shoedo »

I have a 520 tablesaw upgrade but the extension tables are 510 extension tables, I think. Is there a benefit in acquiring 520 extension tables?
jsburger
Platinum Member

Re: Shopsmith 520 ext tables

Post by jsburger »

The tables themselves are the same. The difference is the fence and the fence rails on the tables. The 510 fence rails are round. The 520 fence rails are extruded aluminum. The fences are not interchangeable.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

I'm not 100% sure I understand what you are asking. If I do understand, you are saying that the main table has front/rear extrusions that the 520 rip fence clamps to and the extension tables (both floating and not?) have the 510 tube system.(?) If that is the case you would not be able to use your 520 fence on those other tables and the height would not let you use connecting tubes, or if you did use them the table surfaces would not be co-planar. If that is the case, then there are major benefits to matching them. 1) You'd be able to connect all of the tables with the tubes and they would be at the same height. 2) You'd be able to use the fence anywhere on the table system.

You can make any 510 table into a 520 table by installing the extrusion rails in place of the tubes. There is an upgrade kit to change all of the tables from 510 to 520. I'm not aware of kits to upgrade just the small tables, but if you had to buy the individual parts I'm thinking that would be very expensive.

What you describe would be really weird, I think. Are you sure that is what you have? Can you post photos?

- David
shoedo
Gold Member

Post by shoedo »

The floating tables with the extruded rails is what I am going to purchase. Are the tables without extrusions, 510 tables? If I understand, the unextruded tables are of no use to me with the present extruded tablesaw configuration. I can use the tubes but not the mix of tables because of inconsistent heights. The metal posts were included with everything you see in the photos.
Attachments
MVC-193S.JPG
MVC-193S.JPG (32.25 KiB) Viewed 11015 times
MVC-181S.JPG
MVC-181S.JPG (30.9 KiB) Viewed 11015 times
MVC-182S.JPG
MVC-182S.JPG (39.5 KiB) Viewed 11015 times
MVC-183S.JPG
MVC-183S.JPG (24.33 KiB) Viewed 11015 times
MVC-184S.JPG
MVC-184S.JPG (28.65 KiB) Viewed 11015 times
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

Yes, the floating tables in the third picture are 510 tables. Your main table is a 520 table. They are not compatible. You should be able to buy just the rails for the floating tables from Shopsmith. However it might be cheaper just to buy the 520 tables on eBay. You should also have a fixed extension table with legs that fits in the holes in the end castings. What type of rails does it have? This is strange. I am not sure why the previous owner would not have a complete set of either 510 or 520 tables. :confused:
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
shoedo
Gold Member

Post by shoedo »

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my inquiries. I don't understand your question, "You should also have a fixed extension table with legs that fits in the holes in the end castings. What type of rails does it have? " I don't have any other tables. Please reword the question or post a photo to clarify things for me. Once I purchase the two extruded floating tables, will that not make a total system? Thanks
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

shoedo wrote:Thank you for taking the time to respond to my inquiries. I don't understand your question, "You should also have a fixed extension table with legs that fits in the holes in the end castings. What type of rails does it have? " I don't have any other tables. Please reword the question or post a photo to clarify things for me. Once I purchase the two extruded floating tables, will that not make a total system? Thanks
No, the complete system includes the Main table, a fixed extension table and two floating tables. The extension table has legs that fit either where the tail stock goes or on the other end where you mount the SPT's (band saw, belt sander, etc.).

Check this listing on eBay. It is a 520 fixed extension table.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Shopsmith-Mark ... Sw40Zeq9WL
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

Another thing to be aware of: Some 520 front extrusions have a magnetic strip at the top, full width of the table, and some do not. You can see the strip clearly in the fourth picture of the table on ebay that John sent the link for. The magnet supports the use of a direct reading scale. As far as I know, and maybe someone else on the forum is certain, the tables can be mixed and matched as long as you are not using a scale. I don't use the scale but I know some people like it. Normally, the table system would all match and either all tables would have the magnets or none would have them. That may not be practical in your case.

Based on the pics, I believe your main table does not have the magnetic strips.

I would not necessarily say the 510 tables are of no use to you. There are times when a second extension table (the kind with a base) is extremely useful to support the work-piece. You can use a non-matching table for this, the only limitation is you can't connect it to the main table with tubes (and of course it won't support the 520 fence). I regularly use a 510 table for this on my 520. You can readily convert one of your 510 floating tables to an extension table, used bases are inexpensive and you can use standard hardware to put it together.

- David
shoedo
Gold Member

Post by shoedo »

Ok, after reviewing all of the photos from the URL you sent, I see the upright posts attached to a table which I conclude makes it a fixed component. Also, are the metal legs of no use to me with the current system? Should I consider selling the two 510 tables with the metal posts/legs? Am I correct in saying the fixed table is mounted at the opposite end of the main table to provide a level plane?
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

The metal tubes (4) and legs (2) are standard and correct for either 510 or 520. You should keep them if you are ordering 520 floating tables. (Unless your new tables come with new ones.)

The Extension Table is 'fixed' but height adjustable to match the main table. It can be used on either end of the SS. Generally it would be adjusted (aligned to the main table) on one end of the SS and may require re-adjustment to work correctly on the other end. You are correct in saying that it is adjusted to provide a level plane with the main table, but not necessarily 'opposite' end.

- David