PowerPro lock code question

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Mrzip
Bronze Member

PowerPro lock code question

Post by Mrzip »

I recently purchased a lightly used powerpro. On the control pad it shows a lock button. I do not know what the previous owners lock code is and also do not know what the factory override code is if there is one. I do not want to press the lock code if it locks up the headstock rendering it useless. I called shopsmith 3 times in the past 2 weeks and left my name and number so they can return my call. I have not heard from them yet. Hopefully some one can help me.
DLB
Platinum Member

Re: PowerPro lock code question

Post by DLB »

I'm pretty new to PowerPro, so this is based on my understanding and the way mine works. I have never entered a lock code. If you can turn the machine on from the main power switch and use it without entering a code then no code has been set in yours either. It is unlocked. Using a lock code is optional. If you set a lock code then you will have to enter it each time you turn on the main power switch. It is essentially a password.

I'm not aware of a factory override code but it makes sense that there would be one. Many of us are encountering difficulties talking to Customer Service, I have no idea why it has been so bad.

- David
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

If you are not being asked to enter a password after turning the power on during the startup sequence it does not have a password set. Page D-4 and D-5 of the Mark 7 Owner's Manual has instructions on setting and re-setting passwords.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
Mrzip
Bronze Member

Post by Mrzip »

Thank you all for the info! The unit was made in July 2013 and I am slowly getting the thing up in shape, It has hardly been used as it still has the plastic wrap on the control. It came with all the accessories except the manual. I will see if shopsmith will send me info for the headstock. D4 and D5. The belt sander and planner has never been used. It makes a nice addition to the two other units I have, My wife thinks I am crazy.
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

Sounds like you didn't get a manual... I believe I remember reading that the recommended speed for the Mark-mounted Planer (if that's what you have) is different for Power-Pro than for 'conventional' headstocks. I don't know the numbers, or reason, as I don't have a Planer. But someone here will know if you don't have the info.

Congratulations on your acquisition.

- David
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

Here is a link to a "Summary Owner's Manual" for a M7 on the SS web site. Different page numbering scheme than what Russ referred to, but the content starting on page SM-21 is similar:
https://www.shopsmith.com/getting_start ... Manual.pdf

Not sure that the pics that reflect a 510 table system are the best choice, but this one is free. They also sell a paper manual.

- David
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

The Summary Owner's Manual starts the lock information on page SM-21 but neglects to continue that information on the next page. Shopsmith will sell you a complete Mark 7 Manual available through the online catalog for $35.99. I do recommend having the manual.

If you have not seen this before - WARNING collecting Shopsmith tools can be addicting, but don't tell your wife and we won't either. Enjoy your tools.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

Mrzip wrote:Thank you all for the info! The unit was made in July 2013 and I am slowly getting the thing up in shape, It has hardly been used as it still has the plastic wrap on the control. It came with all the accessories except the manual. I will see if shopsmith will send me info for the headstock. D4 and D5. The belt sander and planner has never been used. It makes a nice addition to the two other units I have, My wife thinks I am crazy.
You can download the Mark 7 manual from this link.
http://www.lhdigest.com/SS/MANUALS/OTHE ... MANUAL.pdf
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

That is the same 'Summary Manual' with the same missing text as from the SS web site. Both are missing about 3/4 of a page entitled "SETTING, ENTERING OR CHANGING A PASSWORD." Which is fine with me, I don't want to do any of those things. Those instructions are in the Operations (Use Instructions) manual that comes with the DIY kit, as Russ said D-3 and D-4. I don't see any copyright on that, but Shopsmith sells the manual (PN 556202) so I don't want to scan it.

- David
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

IIWM, I would NOT go there(entering the lock function).

I assume in order to reset the passcode, one needs to enter the current one.

Would be nice to know of any back door. A system reset may free it up.(I hope there is one!)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange