Shopsmith Model 10's What When and Where

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

jsburger
Platinum Member

Re: Shopsmith Model 10's What When and Where

Post by jsburger »

sehast wrote:That is what I was getting at the material not that it was original. I thought they may have used solid wood. I see what you used has very few plys. Is that what would have been used on the originals from that period?
I doubt there was anything with more plies available back then. 5 ply is still very common today in the big box stores and lumber yards. If you want more plys you have to go to cabinet grade or Baltic Birch.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

The original Wood Extension Table was made of 5 layer 3/4" plywood. The new ones I made are 5 plies and are grade A - A surfaces. What I commonly find at the big box stores is lower grade plywood or exterior plywood.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

chapmanruss wrote:The original Wood Extension Table was made of 5 layer 3/4" plywood. The new ones I made are 5 plies and are grade A - A surfaces. What I commonly find at the big box stores is lower grade plywood or exterior plywood.
Yes, I doubt the big box stores sell A - A plywood or even A - B. It is A - C or exterior sheeting. I haven't looked lately so I am not sure. I buy my plywood ( mostly Baltic Birch ) from a local real well stocked lumber yard. BTW, as many of you probable know, Baltic Birch has no voids on the inner plies. 3/4" Baltic Birch has 15 plies.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

As you can tell by now I have had a lot of time to think about the Shopsmith Model 10E and 10ER. This isn't all just recent thoughts about them but have gathered in my head over time as I have owned many of them and been able to compare them.

There are instructions for making a bench that came with the Model 10’s. At first that was the only option until the metal Shopsmith Bench Ends came out. The make your own wood bench calls for it to be 60” long. The early instructions for the Metal Bench Ends also call for 60” long 2” x 8” boards. Later instructions for the Metal Bench Ends call for 57” long 2” x 8” boards. So why the different lengths? It has to do with the Base being made shorter and the change in the Headrest. The pre-drilled holes in the top of the metal bench ends not only have the four smaller holes for attaching the 2” x 8” boards but the larger centered hole for the base and the other two larger holes for the headrest to mount through. Using the correct length boards for your era of the Model 10ER (base and headrest) made the setup correct for the length of the way tubes exposed on each end. All Model 10E Shopsmiths had the same larger Base and 4-hole mounting Headrest. So did the early Model 10ER. Only later Model 10ER tools had the smaller Base and 2 hole Headrest.

The early Shopsmith Metal Bench Ends were not pre-drilled for the Retractable Casters. The Retractable Casters came out after the Bench Ends. One nice feature of the Retractable Casters was they were designed not only to work with the Metal Bench Ends but could also be mounted to the legs of the wood bench Magna supplied plans for. They could be easily be adapted to pretty much any wood bench too.
Russ

Mark V 520
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

chapmanruss wrote:As you can tell by now I have had a lot of time to think about the Shopsmith Model 10E and 10ER. This isn't all just recent thoughts about them but have gathered in my head over time as I have owned many of them and been able to compare them.

There are instructions for making a bench that came with the Model 10’s. At first that was the only option until the metal Shopsmith Bench Ends came out. The make your own wood bench calls for it to be 60” long. The early instructions for the Metal Bench Ends also call for 60” long 2” x 8” boards. Later instructions for the Metal Bench Ends call for 57” long 2” x 8” boards. So why the different lengths? It has to do with the Base being made shorter and the change in the Headrest. The pre-drilled holes in the top of the metal bench ends not only have the four smaller holes for attaching the 2” x 8” boards but the larger centered hole for the base and the other two larger holes for the headrest to mount through. Using the correct length boards for your era of the Model 10ER (base and headrest) made the setup correct for the length of the way tubes exposed on each end. All Model 10E Shopsmiths had the same larger Base and 4-hole mounting Headrest. So did the early Model 10ER. Only later Model 10ER tools had the smaller Base and 2 hole Headrest.

The early Shopsmith Metal Bench Ends were not pre-drilled for the Retractable Casters. The Retractable Casters came out after the Bench Ends. One nice feature of the Retractable Casters was they were designed not only to work with the Metal Bench Ends but could also be mounted to the legs of the wood bench Magna supplied plans for. They could be easily be adapted to pretty much any wood bench too.
Just a nit pick, but the tube exposure on the tilt end is determined by the vertical position in drill press mode regardless of the long or short tilt base.

The length of the boards determines the position of the head rest to set the tube exposure on that end. :) :) That is unless you let the bench boards over hang the metal legs on the sides and ends. A Skip Campbell-ism. I did mine that way. A 1/4" if I remember. It looks a lot nicer to me. Then you have to set the legs to the proper distance under the boards. Actually looking at the picture it might be 1/2" overhang.
Attachments
IMAG0329.jpg
IMAG0329.jpg (121.96 KiB) Viewed 13153 times
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

John you said,
Just a nit pick, but the tube exposure on the tilt end is determined by the vertical position in drill press mode regardless of the long or short tilt base.
Which is true and is kept true by what I had said about the different length benches. When I reassemble a Model 10 I start with the Base/Arm placed on the bench. I add the Way Tubes with it in vertical position to "set" the tubes. I did that just the other day reassembling S/N 69236. The rear bolt of the Base is through the larger center hole in the bench end. The Headrest bolts are through the other two larger holes on the other bench end. The boards are 57" long. The Tailstock goes on either end with the Way Tubes just "peeking out" from the outside of the Tailstock.

A bench 60" long with the larger Base and 4 bolt Headrest compared to 57" with the small Base and 2 bolt Headrest. It is measured with the top of the metal bench ends flush to the ends of the boards. The 3" difference is from the original large Base and original 4 bolt Headset combination compared to the shorter Base and 2 bolt Headrest. Custom tops with overhangs like yours are possible as long as the overhangs are added to the woods overall finished dimensions. By the way John that's a beautiful bench not to mention a great job on the Model 10ER restoration.
Russ

Mark V 520
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

Thank you! :) The bench is 6/4 Popular (bought rough) with a Polyurethane finish.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Going back to the post that I was talking about what came with the original Model 10E showing the original Fig. 1 picture and the recreation of the Fig. 1 picture I did. The recreation picture shows how the first Model 10E's actually came from the factory with one slight exception. Below is the section of the original Fig. 1 picture that shows the Arbor.
Fig 1 c.png
Fig 1 c.png (99.92 KiB) Viewed 12933 times
In the recreation below is my mock up of that Arbor.
Fig 1 recreated c.jpg
Fig 1 recreated c.jpg (109.78 KiB) Viewed 12933 times
I created it using a 1/2" arbor from an unknown manufacturer along with the washer style nuts. It looks very much like the one shown in the original Fig. 1 picture. I believe for the Fig. 1 picture Magna may have done something similar to what I have recreated.
Russ

Mark V 520
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

The Shopsmith Model 10E and 10ER were available for purchase with or without a motor. Magna supplied the A. O. Smith ½ or ¾ HP motors which were specifically designed for the Shopsmith Model 10’s. Notice the vents on the ends are on the bottom half to reduce dust falling directly into it. Other motors found on the Model 10s would have been provided by the person purchasing the Shopsmith. Common options for motors I have had with Model 10’s I purchased for restoration are PowrCraft (Montgomery Ward), GE and Craftsman (Sears) motors. The majority of the motors have been A. O. Smith motors. The motors that came on the Model 10E S/N 1077 and now S/N 1033 that I have were different A. O. Smith ½ HP motors. Likely an earlier model motor than the A. O. Smith motors we commonly see. Since it came on both early Model 10E‘s I believe that it was the motor supplied with purchase. If motors were not supplied with the original shipment to Montgomery Ward, I would expect buyers of them to use a motor they already had or buy one from Montgomery Ward at the same time. If that was the case the motor would likely be a PowrCraft motor not an A. O. Smith motor.

Below is the A. O. Smith 1/2 HP motor we usually see.
A O Smith 1-2 HP Motor r.jpg
A O Smith 1-2 HP Motor r.jpg (143.2 KiB) Viewed 12872 times
Below is the 1/2 HP A. O. Smith motor that came with S/N 1033 and is the same model as the one that came with S/N 1077.
A O Smith 1-2 HP Motor early version r.jpg
A O Smith 1-2 HP Motor early version r.jpg (160.27 KiB) Viewed 12872 times
This motor has a switch built into the mounting also this one has a corner of the mounting broken off of it. The switch does end up on the back side of the Headstock so it still needs the Headstock switch. Has anyone else seen this model of A. O. Smith motor pictured above?

The thing I really like about these old A. O. Smith motors is they seem to last forever.
Russ

Mark V 520
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

Weren't the Magna supplied motors unique to the the SS in that they had the start capacitor on the side so the motor cleared the bench instead of on top opposite the mounting bracket? That suggests that A.O. Smith made these motors specifically for Magna. Not really a big deal to move the capacitor to the side. Two of the 5 10ER's I have here have 3/4 HP A.O. Smith motors with the capacitor on the side.

I have never seen the second motor. What is with the end bell opposite the pulley. I agree the A.O. Smith motors are bullet proof.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT