Hi, my name is Ed

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

edma194
Platinum Member

Hi, my name is Ed

Post by edma194 »

I'm new here. Years ago I posted on another SS forum, maybe a Yahoo group or something. But I like this one so I'll introduce myself and tell you about my SS stuff. I haven't been doing much with tools for years now following illness and the other stuff that makes life interesting, but now with some time on my hands it's time to finish up old projects.

I got my first SS in the early 90s, an old Greenie from 1954. It must have been well cared for most of the time but that guy I bought it from had let it go altogether. Caked in sawdust inside and out, lots of oil inside don't know what he was doing, the lower sheave was jammed on the shaft. The folks at SS helped me get that in working order and a few years ago I gave that one to a friend. I also picked up 10ER that my son has at his place. Somewhere out there is the SS planer on a power station I lent to friend and don't expect to see again. I have two SS bandsaws and some kind of power stand that's not a SS Power Station.

Right now I'm doing a Power Pro upgrade on an old Greenie headstock that will go on my mid-80s 510. Then I'll get that machine properly aligned after years. The plan is to take the headstock from the 510 and use that to make a dedicated drill press out of the rest of the old Greenie. That would be nice to get set up soon.

Next on the list is my Shopsmith 2000 tablesaw. Got this several years ago but have not set it up fully yet. I just have to mount the rails though, shouldn't take long except I can't find the mounting clips so I'll have to fabricate new ones. They're just a rectangular piece of 1/8" steel plate with a square hole for carriage bolts. I'll have to drill round holes and tap them instead.

Also on the shelf is another Greenie headstock, slightly modified as mentioned in my thread about the Power Pro upgrade. Hopefully I can construct a good working headstock from all the parts I have. That will get used with my 1947 Delta 14" bandsaw so I'll have the variable speed. That guy is a tank, makes even the modern Deltas look weak. If this can be done I probably won't need an SS bandsaw anymore.

I have plenty of other tools to restore, an Alien Head planer, an old WWII era Tab Folder (beats me why I have that), a SS joiner that came with my first machine, a Delta jigsaw, the list goes on. I have no idea how much of this I'll ever get done. But whatever I do it should be fun, or at least interesting.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Re: Hi, my name is Ed

Post by Gene Howe »

Hi Ed. You've got some fun in your future. Please keep us informed of your progress.
SkullsquadronX
Gold Member

Post by SkullsquadronX »

Welcome to the Shopsmith forum Ed. Glad you like this one and good luck with your projects.
friscomike
Gold Member

Post by friscomike »

Howdy Ed,

Welcome to the group. We have some really smart and experience people here who can help you get started. Enjoy the ride.

~mike c
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

Hi Ed this Ed also, welcome to the forum.

You all know the saying , “two Ed’s are better than one!” :D

There are more than two Ed’s on this forum now!
We are lead by the head Ed, Ed Reible! :D
Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Post by Gene Howe »

Ed in Tampa wrote:Hi Ed this Ed also, welcome to the forum.

You all know the saying , “two Ed’s are better than one!” :D

There are more than two Ed’s on this forum now!
We are lead by the head Ed, Ed Reible! :D
:D :) :D :) :D :)

Plenty of Edification, here.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Plenty of elucidation as well!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange