I also inherited an old Greenie

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

stew
Gold Member

Re: I also inherited an old Greenie

Post by stew »

The table trunnion lock has to be loosened before you can move the pin out, have you done that yet?
UncleLarry
Silver Member

Post by UncleLarry »

The trunnion lock and everything else has been disassembled and removed. The only thing left is the part C2993 front trunnion attached to the 203100 tie bar assembly, attached by the pivot pin. The pin is seized and won't let go. I thought about adding heat to the pin to release it, but I will probably scorch the Greenie paint. I thought about using a gear puller, but the aluminum casting may not survive without breaking. So, I'm letting it soak in penetrating oil for a few days. Thanks
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

You are correct to be concerned about using to much force to remove the stuck trunnion. I had a rear trunnion stuck on a Mark 5 Greenie I restored and it broke removing it. My bad. IIRC both the front and rear trunnions are cast aluminum with a metal sleeve inside them. That is what gets "frozen" on the pins of the table tie bar.

Unfortunately you have to replace broken/damaged/missing parts for the original Mark 5/V table system with used parts. Shopsmith no longer makes parts for the original Table System and most parts are now sold out from their inventory.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
UncleLarry
Silver Member

Post by UncleLarry »

Thanks Russ for your wisdom. Unfortunately I got a little impatient.
Several years ago when I had an antique airplane, I did a lot of maintenance under the guidance of an A&P who was an Army helicopter mechanic. He had a favorite saying that I can't quite remember but it was something like, "If you can't do it by skill and finesse, you might have to resort to brute force!"
I did!
And it broke!!
But, fortunately I found a replacement, with extra hardware, on eBay that should be here in a few days.
UncleLarry
Silver Member

Post by UncleLarry »

Here’s an update on Uncle Larry’s Greenie that I inherited. The last that I reported before the server went down, was that I had broken the trunnion on the saw table. I found a replacement on eBay, ordered it, and it arrived yesterday.

While I was waiting for it to arrive, I opened the headstock of the machine to see what needed to be done there. I found “tons and tons” of sawdust, or maybe sanding dust inside. Appeared to be walnut, or maybe cherry dust. Cousin Mark made airplane yolk control handles from both woods… so.. ?

I made a tent with a bed sheet to contain the dust and had several sessions of blowing with compressed air. Finally, I got most of the dust out of the machine and found that the sheaves and internal parts seemed to be like new. The bearings were not rough. The v-belt from the motor drive to the speed control showed some wear, but still usable. The gilmer belt seems to be in very good condition.

I oiled the sheaves and anything else I could find that looked like it needed oil. The motor power cord was a bit frayed, I’ll need to replace it soon. But I plugged it in and turned it on and it runs… it speeds up… it slows down. Every time I go to the basement I run it up and down speed to make sure all works.

The pictures of the trunnion that I bought looked like a Greenie. But it was not. And it wasn’t a Goldie. Turned out to be a grey. But I found some green paint that almost matched the Greenie. So, I’m happy. All is good here, a good day!
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Other than the coating of dust it's nice to hear the Headstock is in pretty good shape.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.